1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GX1 Ex Tele Conv: like the GH2's?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by panyuser, Feb 12, 2012.

1. panyuser

panyuser Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2011
    I notice that people rave about the GH2's Ex Tele Conv feature, since it allows you to just use the center 1920x1080 pixels, and not have to do any funny conversion stuff.

The GX1 has this too, but only for 720 mode: is this just because they didn't want the GX1 to rain on the GH2's video parade?

And my question: if (with the GX1) the Ex720 mode will have no digital interpolation like the 1080 mode, does that mean it could give superior results (forgetting about obviously lower resolution)?

Potentially, I have a 7.2x teleconverter (compared to 35mm reading on the lens barrel) at 720... and no loss of quality?

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Welllllll, it depends. Are we talking for stills or video?

Video- you're going to present the "image" at 720 lines resolution, so there is absolutely no loss in quality. It can be argued that since you are maintaining the fine, native, pixel pitch (distance between pixels) and eliminating the need for line skipping, binning, etc that there could actually be an image quality INCREASE when using this mode. Because of the "low" output resolution, using a longer lens to keep the high sensor resolution provides no real benefit.

Still - depends on your output and the subject. You have pretty drastically reduced resolution. Now, if all those extra pixels were going to be cropped away in post anyway, then maybe ETC has some benefit by maintaining the pixel pitch, as when you crop in post, and then "enlarge" the image, you are not only scaling the pixels, but the spaces between them also. BUT, if you had the "right" lens, and could use all those pixels, the image would be better yet, and much more suitable for printing large copies. If you are only going to view the image on the computer screen, though, we go into the same output resolution discussion as for video.

IMHO, ETC is a valuable feature, and I always have mine turned on so selecting a smaller file size gives me more reach.

3. panyuser

panyuser Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2011
    Thanks for the reply. And yes, I forgot to explicitly say, I did mean for video.

What is the right lens here? Do you mean something optimised for such a smaller sensor?

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    No, something with enough reach so the subject fills the frame and you wouldn't have to crop.