GX1, E-PL3 or E-PM1?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Ausgustino, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Ausgustino

Ausgustino New to Mu-43

Jul 17, 2012
    I'm looking for a new travel camera as I'm travelling to Japan later this year. Other than that, I'll be using it for friends/family snaps, or when i'm out and about.

The options are a GX1 + 14-42 kit lens, and for about the same price the E-PL3 + 14-42 IIR

However, the E-PM1 is on sale right now, so i can for about 1/3 less (i live in NZ so i'm not putting the conversion of NZ dollars) of either of those choices get an E-PM1 + 14-42

The prudent thought would be to get the E-PM1 and then look at getting a pancake lens down the track for something that is more easily pocketable.

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I just got a GX1 and I am surprised at how compact it is. It's not that much bigger than the E-PM1. I would choose it over either the E-PL3 or E-PM1 for the handling and ergonomics alone. I don't see any significant advantage to going with either of the Olympus bodies over the GX1.

3. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    I was looking at a GX1 with the 14-42mm. But for less money I got myself a used GF1, 14-45mm kit (arguably one of the best kit lenses ever) and 20mm f1.7,this is a must have lens. Very happy with it, although sometimes I wish I had a body with a built in EVF.

Don't put all your money into a high tech body that will date....invest in lenses as these are for keeps.

4. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    I'd go for the E-PM1 - supposing you are comfortable with the controls, size etc - as you'll get IBIS and nicer skin tones on jpegs (assuming you like Olympus colours of course). The IBIS will come into play when you use a pancake or other non stabilised lens - the Panasonic 14-42 is stabilised on a Panasonic body.

FWIW and hopefully irrelevant, my experience of Panasonic customer service (for cameras) does not give me confidence and would probably be enough to sway me anyway. Olympus on the other hand were very good, quick to respond, and responded sensibly - with Panasonic I got idiotic statements and a faulty camera returned with exactly the same fault it had in the beginning. This is in the UK and maybe things are reversed on the other side of the world :)

5. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    The Epl3 has a tilt screen, which would probably be the decider for me.

6. Ausgustino

Ausgustino New to Mu-43

Jul 17, 2012
    haha i love it, 4 replies, 4 different opinions!

Alright, i'll go have a look at the Olympus colours. The GX1 does feel better in the hand, and the E-PM1 a little on the small size, it's probably the smallest that would feel comfortable my hands

7. vmaniqui

vmaniqui New to Mu-43

Jan 30, 2012
    E-PM1 for me (as i have one).

8. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    What do you care about most?

Ergonomics - go Panasonic
    Famous Oly jpeg colors with menu driven controls - go E-PM1
    Famous Oly colors + some manual controls - go E-PL3

9. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    If you opt for either one of the Olympus cameras, be sure to get an aftermarket grip. IMO, it makes a huge difference in how the camera feels in the hand.

10. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    that would reflect Micro 4/3s wide array of choices.

11. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    ... and the niche customer segment each camera targets!

12. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    The Panasonic has more than ergonomics however. The GX1 has a newer and higher resolution sensor than either the E-PM1 or E-PL3 that has much lower noise at higher ISO and better DR. Also if you're planning to use the rear LCD the E-PM1 and E-PL3 have one that is 16x9 ratio so when viewing images in in anything other than 16:9 the image is considerably smaller than the on the GX1. All three have strengths and weaknesses and any of them would be terrific.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    I have the EPM1 and the G3, which has the same sensor as the GX1. Both are great cameras but the higher res sensor makes a difference with the Panasonic in this case.

The EPM1 is a great camera and it's incredibly small so for vacation it would be great. If you don't do a lot of low light shooting or really big enlargements, it would also be fine

14. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    If you think you'll be doing any night photo strolls I would highly recommend the GX1. Like dixeyk said, it has much better high ISO noise and more DR. The other thing I would say is that it focuses very well in low light.

I bought my GX1 (my first digi-cam beyond a P&S) a couple of days before I went to New York City this May. The high ISO versatility combined with the PL25 allowed me to take shots at any hour with results that really blew my mind. I didn't even have to use any sort of noise-reduction software and the IQ was shockingly good, to my eyes. I have large hands so the smaller Olympus bodies just wouldn't work for me. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  15. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I've had a lot of m43 cameras including the E-PM1 and I find that (for me) the GX1 hits a real sweet spot between size and functionality that none of the other m43 cameras I've had have managed to do. FWIW the GX1 is not that much larger than than the E-PM1.

[​IMG]

Compare camera dimensions side by side

• Like Like x 4
  16. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Wow they are pretty close! I've had the Panasonic case on since day 1 so mine has quite a bit more grip to it than the body alone. In fact I'm always surprised when I take it out of the case how small it feels. When I picked up an EPM-1 in a store I assumed it to be much smaller than my GX1 with the case and now EVF.

17. johnc

johnc Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm going to be upgrading soon to the GX1. For me, the inclusion of a built-in variable-output flash which can be used in tandem with an external tilting viewfinder (much more important to me than an articulating LCD--shoot insects at 1:1 on a bright sunny day and you'll see what I mean) cinches the deal (the bigger sensor and improved high ISO performance will be welcome improvements as well). While my GF2 has the same basic capability, there are a couple of important "gotchas." First and foremost, forced flash output isn't variable--it's either on at full power or it's off. Makes using it as a fill source at relatively close distances on tiny subjects (without resorting to an external slave) rather difficult. Secondly, I'm finding the LVF1 a bit coarse resolution-wise for exact focusing when dealing with extremely-limited DOF. When I do buy the camera, I'll be purchasing the LVF2 at the same time.

18. Ausgustino

Ausgustino New to Mu-43

Jul 17, 2012
    mmmmm, just to let you guys know, I went ahead and picked up the GX1. It just feels more comfortable in hand, and I'm starting to take some pretty decent photos with it.

Thanks to everyone for their input!

• Like Like x 3
  19. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi..Dont worry ..u are not alone .I am also with u though I like Oly UI and OOC JPEGS more but I am very much attracted to GX1..
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

20. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I agree.
    Size, functionality, value, and looks.

My favorite body to date and just a pleasure to use.