GX1 drop test? Sure, why not?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Eggradio, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Eggradio

Eggradio Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Dropped my GX1 this evening from a height of about three feet. Landed on the LVF2. Here's a photo of the damage, which was purely cosmetic:

No damage to the body. Can't say much about the internals, but there are no parts rattling around inside. To be honest, I expect the camera to take more damage than this over the years. I'm not a gorilla when it comes to my gear, but these things should be expected and I am glad that the camera passed the test really well. After I examined the LVF2 closely for real damage I found that it is really solidly made...

Here's some advice: don't hold a tripod under your left armpit and then try to unscrew the camera from the tripod with your left thumb and forefinger while you hold the camera in your right hand without the strap around your neck...

And the photo I took just before I dropped it:

• Like Like x 12
  2. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ouch, dude! Glad to hear it held together.
  3. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Just another reason not to use a tripod :smile:

Glad your camera survived OK.
  4. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Nope , just another reason to use a Camera Quick Release Plate Adapter Set. Worth the 8 dollars.
  5. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Glad it's strong. :D
    What surface did it falls to ?
  6. Eggradio

Eggradio Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    It fell onto parking lot pavement! Pretty bad. I won't make the mistake again, but I do think it gives a little character to the camera. I will say that this thing is really well built.
  7. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Glad to hear the camera is ok. Is that the Queens side of the Triboro Bridge?
  8. Eggradio

Eggradio Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Indeed it is! I've lived here for 12 years now... Not under the bridge, in the neighborhood.
  9. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Small world, my aunt lives in Shore Towers.
  10. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    I spent 8 years living in Astoria - but worked in the city. :biggrin:

11. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Just buy a new EVF and trash the other and call it good.. no problem.. you can't fix it otherwise.. bite the bullet.. LOL
  12. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    glad the camera is OK..
    it looks like panasonic EVF is sturdier than oly VF-2 ? I never hold the panasonic EVF but if you see the dent, looks like it's sturdier than oly?
  13. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Glad to hear it survived!

Did you use a filter for the bridge pic or is that star effect natural to the lens? or was it done in software? looks really nice:thumbup:

Nice military surplus background there , what the EVF is sitting on.