GX1 case & street set up

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Iansky, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Well, after finally writing to the CEO of Panasonic EU about lack of availability of case and even worse customer service from Panasonic UK, I got a response from the "Executive Communications Team" with an apology and an offer for a case at a reduced price which I accepted.

The case arrived yesterday and it is really well made out of nice leather with tripod bush screw to hold it in place (the screw is threaded to allow use on tripod in case) - all in all a nice piece of workmanship that protects and compliments the camera - they now need to make it available to all!

Here are some images of case, camera in half case and my street set up with GX1.

GX1_case_front.

GX1_case_rear.

GX1_from_above.

GX1_street_set.

• Like Like x 1
  2. chip

chip Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2012
    Connecticut, USA
    Thanks for posting. Did you also get the 14-42mm power zoom? If yes, what are your thoughts?

3. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Is that a new EVF for the GX1? I remember reading the old one wasn't great, I've been spoiled by the Olympus VF2 for my Pen so I'd probably buy an EVF if I picked up a GX1.

4. chip

chip Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2012
    Connecticut, USA
    @chrism - yes, it's new. The old EVF doesn't work on the GX1.

5. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Thats good to know, is it a better spec than the older one?

6. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    LVF2

The LVF2 is the same quality as the EVF in the G3 - a great piece of kit that is a huge improvement over the LVF1

• Like Like x 1
  7. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    14-42X

Hi Chip,

Yes I did get the kit with the 14-42X lens as well as 45-175X lens, EVF2 and after a lot of hassle the case (all part of an agreed trade in of kit).

The 2 X lenses are very well made - but, personally I find the on lens controls a pain and the option to zoom using the touch screen useless if using the viewfinder and fiddly if using the LCD.

I have not really tried either in a serious manner and picked them up as part of the deal to hold as collateral against the pending 12-35 f2.8 constant aperture if it proves a good lens, I must admit to having been able to get most of my camera kit by trading in excess eqpt.

I will give them a try soon and post the results for interested parties but, the 20mm is my prime shooting lens and gives amazing results on the GX1.

8. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    Is that an official case? I thought the Panasonic one didn't have a hole for the tripod mount.. but maybe that's just for the half-case. Can you in fact buy these in the UK now? I was thinking about importing one from Japan..

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Very nice. I've always liked these types of cases, as they are the ones I used back in the film days. Olympus has had them since day 1 with the E-P1 Digital PEN. The Olympus case for the E-P1/E-P2/E-P3 series will probably fit on the Panasonic GX-1.

10. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Yes, it is an official case however, it appears that it is not yet availible in EU/UK despite them providing me the details.
    It was only after me writing to the EU CEO and complaining about poor response to Emails etc that his team contacted me, this is a sample case that was offerred to me at a reduced price so I accepted it.
    I understand that it will be offerred in both black and brown versions and will cost around £100 when / if available, needless to say I did voice my opinion on this and they said they would pass them on to the UK Sales Manager who is responsible for sourcing product for UK sales.
    The case is really well made and the leather is good quality with a good lining, it fastens securely via the tripod thread and allows use on a tripod via a threaded locking nut.
    Olympus ones will not fit due to smaller footprint of GX1 and grip.
    The top /front unclips easily to allow half case use which is nice and I suspect it will wear well and protect the camera in an efficient manner - well worth the effort of complaining - just a shame it came to that!

Still not sure if/when this will be availible in UK/Eu markets.

11. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    wow, it's very sleek but it seems slippery?

12. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I have the dark brown version of that case, I absolutely love it. I imported mine from a seller on ebay, who lives in japan. It's annoying how panasonic doesn't really offer their acessories here in the US, I also had to import the half case for my GF3.

The only gripe I have about the full GX1 case is that I wish the part that covers the lens was a little deeper to accomodate the 25mm lens. I also wish it had come with a strap, as the half case for the GF3 came with a strap.

13. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Agree

The only gripe I have about the full GX1 case is that I wish the part that covers the lens was a little deeper to accomodate the 25mm lens. I also wish it had come with a strap, as the half case for the GF3 came with a strap.[/QUOTE]

Hi Mijo,

I agree, it would have been nice if the case had come with a strap like the X100 case does. I had the case for the GF1 and that also came without a strap so I guess that is Panasonics way, strap with camera not with case!

I am happy with the case as is, it allows me to carry it over my shoulder and under a coat so is not as obvious and still easy to drop the front and shoot an opportune event - I do tend though to keep just the half case on and put the rest in my pocket once in my "shooting zone" - nice case though but they do need to get a grip of their supply / marketing system so it is availible to all who buy the camera rather than limited markets.

It is not slippery at all.

They can be a bit slow off the mark at times!:frown:

14. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    The actual part No for the case is - DMW-CGK13-K

15. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    I got this particular case with my GX1X kit in HK 5 weeks ago, given as bonus at Broadway. It's a pretty nice, good quality case when you just want the 14-42 X lens or a pancake lens on the camera, however it adds a bit of bulk to the camera especially in height.

It's very useful to protect the camera on your shoulder from hitting stuff when walking around. In the end I got tired of taking the bottom half case on and off to access the SD card, so now I use a Retrospective 5 most of the time.

16. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Good to know Broadway is giving away original accessories for the GX1. They always gave me generic camera bags for my camera purchases with them. Now, I have several of them sitting at my home, never used... :rofl:

17. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    So Panasonic tell me they are bringing 500 of these in for sale in the UK at the end of March, I suspect they'll be for a premium price. Apparently they were giving them away with the camera in Asia. I have ordered one from ebay for £15 - could be a 'fake' but for that price thought it was worth the gamble.

18. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Glad to hear UK have woken up about demand for these cases and importing them - Possible sell for £100 each, superb case though.

19. harry66

harry66 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 5, 2012
    Redbridge, London
    Can you confirm if the cardboard insert with the packaging actually showed the part number?

I ask 'cos I ordered what I assumed was going to be a fake case from Ebay UK for £15 (from a China based seller).
    Have received the case and it looks and feels genuine - been looking for detailed pictures of the case to try and confirm and I stumbled on your pics. Your pics further support my view that the case is genuine! I have a genuine Lumix LX3 (for my LX5) case and the feel and finish seems identical. The packaging also seemed similar quality (from memory) but the cardboard insert did not have a part number which is my only doubt about it authenticity.

20. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Sample Case

Sorry Harry,

I am unable to confirm that - the case I have was a "Sample Case" supplied to Panasonic direct as a proposed solution (that they have now gone firm with).

The part number I quoted was supplied to me by Panasonic in Europe and as the case arrived well wrapped but not in a box there was no associated information / documentation to state part number.

I know there are some fake ones out there but the real deal is nice and genuine leather, very well made and does a great job.