1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX1 captures the mood

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Iansky, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Out with GX1+20mm today - great combo and pleased with upgrade from GF1

Canoes_SFX.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 11
  2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Very nice work Ian.

Having also upgraded from the GF1 to GX1 I absolutely agree that it is a worthy upgrade (and most importantly) a satisfying one. In some respects the improvement in image quality is obvious from the start, at higher ISO for example, but I found that as you begin to shoot with it more the difference becomes even more apparent in other respects too.

More often now I am looking at a magnified image during post processing at the end of the day and find myself thinking....wow that's sharp and being pleased with the transitions in shadow depth and rendering.

The 3D type impression you get I feel it is there too.... if you've managed to frame a smooth slightly out of focus background...with the GX1 being able to really nail a subject with great sharpness and detail that 3D 'pop' becomes even more apparent.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Congratulations Livnius on your upgrade and I am sure that like me you will get plenty of good use out of the camera!

4. stillshunter

stillshunter Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Yeah well neither of you fellas is helping me none! "Be strong" I'd resolved this year, be strong....third month in and the cracks are turning to fissures :wink:

Said the same over at SC - #1 is a framer!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stephen Geis

Stephen Geis Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Ian - fantastic shots - makes me want to try the GX1 ...

6. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe

It's treacherous territory this...just about any one of us could justifiably opt for an upgrade to either of the 2 newest releases, the GX1 & Em5. Only problem is....by years end we'll have a GH3 already out with a GX2 and EP4 no doubt on the horizon for this time next year :eek:

Loving the perspective from #2 more and more....love that POP!

7. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Not a problem

8. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Much the same Ian. I too would be hard pressed to opt for a DSLR styled body...I just feel more comfortable with the slightly boxy rangefinder-esque type body. The new grip I quite like too...vastly improved.

I shoot almost exclusively with the aid of the viewfinder (another significant improvement) but I can see how a simple tilt screen could come in handy in certain situations...tripod mounted/shooting from hip-chest so in that regard, there are options out there for the m43 crowd, however you choose shoot.

I can only hope that Panasonic continues to support this particular GX style concept in the hope that it may at some point take a hint from the Nex7 and include a built in viewfinder. But, that is of course entirely a matter for the suites at head office...I think they did real well here though.

9. Brian1954

Brian1954 Mu-43 Rookie

I really like the perspective and lighting in the second photo. You did indeed capture the mood with these shots.

Brian