1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX1 bracketed exposure HDR question

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by rossi46, Sep 2, 2012.

1. rossi46

rossi46 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2012
    Hi there,...

I had tried to use a 3 or 5 auto bracketed exposure on a tripod to create a HDR image.

I do not have a shutter release.
    My problem is that I could not figure out a setting that allows me to
    - set a 2 sec timer combined with auto bracketing of 3 or 5 or 7 images.

The only way I know how to do it is to long press the shutter, but there will be camera shake then and the HDR image will not merge well.

Is there any function in GX1 that can allow us to use a 2 second timer combined with auto-bracketed image with just one shutter press?

2. kleox64

kleox64 New to Mu-43

Aug 17, 2012
    Wired remote?

3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Unfortunately, for some bizarre reason this isn't possible with m4/3 cameras (at least to the best of my knowledge). The same issue occurs on both the Panasonic and Olympus cameras and neither will let you take a bracketed shot with one press of the shutter and the timer.

You're pretty much stuck with a wired remote option to avoid camera shake if you want to do multiple exposures.

4. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Interesting... I just read this on the Panasonic site for the GX1:

The Auto Bracket function records several photos at varied exposure levels in a compensation range of ±EV 3 in 1/3 EV, 2/3 EV or 1 EV steps. The DMC-GX1 will record up to 7 images with a single press of the shutter button.

Does anyone know how to make that work with a *single* press of the shutter? I couldn't find any way to do that on the GX1. Still can't use it with the timer, but it'd be nice to not have to hold the shutter down every time I want to do an HDR bracket.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just figured it out... pretty sure they're just saying "single press" of the shutter since you can hold it down as opposed to pressing it individually each time, not that it can fire off the bracket in an automatic burst. :rolleyes:

5. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2012
    Lancs., UK
    ......last quote is correct about just holding the shutter release down and it fires all exposures off. I'm in the same boat and am looking at a wired or wireless remote. Have seen a decent looking wired for £25 (I know there's cheaper ones around) and a wireless for around £60. Although if anyone has any recommendations I'm all ears. Sorry to hijack although the info is useful to both of us.
    JohnyT

6. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    So if I understand correctly with a wireless remote or wired remote, the remote exposure button has to be pressed X times to match the AB exposure setting.

A single button press will not shoot the whole group at once no matter what?

Thanks,

Don

7. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    With my wired remote (don't have a wireless one) I had to hold the remote button down until the requisite number of frames had been triggered. It's just like shooting in burst mode except that it stops when the # of bracketed frames are reached.

8. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012

Which wired remote do you have?

I'd like to buy one.

Thanks!

James

9. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay

No idea, it came with my used G3 but it's just a cheap one. You can get them for peanuts on amazon or ebay or whatever and it should be a standard shutter release cable as far as I know. For example:

Amazon.com: Fotodiox Camera Remote Shutter Release Cable 1P, for Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1, G2, G3, G10, GX1, GH1, GH2, GF1, DMC-L1, L10, DMC-FC100, FZ150, Fully Compatible with Panasonic DMW-RSL1, DMW-RS1: Camera & Photo

10. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    It does with a GH2, in any case.

11. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    Okay, you hold the button down until all exposures are made. And then the camera stops making exposures? So if you had a 5 or 7 frame Auto Bracket sequence set up the exposures stop automatically as you hold the button down or on?

Just trying to understand how this is supposed to work.

If I have a 7 bracket spread set and I depress and hold the shutter button on my camera the write buffer fills prior to writing all 7 frames causing a pause in exposures. Does that sound correct?

Thanks,

Don

12. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    Thanks.

I ordered something similar from B&H this afternoon.

13. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Yes, you press and hold the shutter until all the frames are shot. So it's "one press of the button" but you have to keep it depressed until the frames are done. It does not continue

The buffer filling with a 7-shot bracket might be a problem, I'm not sure - I've only ever used 3 and 5 frame bracketing.

One last note, at least on my remote, there is a lock that will keep the shutter pressed down for you. So if you do use a remote that might help with the buffer issue, not sure.

14. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    I've done 7-shot bracket and it actually finishes the sequence before it starts writing. It does not stop in the middle of the sequence, at least I have a Class 10 SDXC, so that probably helps.

15. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    Thanks everyone. I think I understand now but I'll need to get a wireless shutter release and test my class 10 card.