GX1 body only $399 @ Kenmore Camera

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by danska, Aug 2, 2012.

1. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Stumbled upon this today,

PANASONIC LUMIX GX1 BODY BLACK

Silver is the same price. With the standard kit lens they are $529.

I've been in their shop quite a bit as they are only a couple of miles from me, I've enjoyed dealing with them. Seems like a good deal on one of the better performing M4/3 cameras (I love mine!).

• Like Like x 2
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That's a great deal, pretty much the same as the recent Amazon Gold Box deal where I picked up my GX1.

3. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    Love Kenmore Camera, got my 25mm F/1.4 and GH2 from there.

The GX1 deal is so temptingggg.

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    That's a terrific deal on a wonderful camera.

5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    All right. Since we are awash in some Puget Sound love, I confess that I picked up my P/L 25mm from Kenmore a month or so ago. Personally, I prefer Glazer's, but the UPS man delivered to Kenmore first, and I did not want to take a chance and miss out on this lens as it seems to be as hard to find as hen's teeth. The salesman who helped me seemed pretty nice, so I feel fortunate to have two well-stocked stores within an easy drive.

--Ken

6. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    I find the prices at Kenmore to be on par if not cheaper than online prices. I picked up the 25mm back in January and couldn't be happier.

I love their customer service, very hard to find a shop that'll let you try on lenses and just talk cameras nowadays. At least with prices comparable to online.

7. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Never been to Glazers, but I only got into this hobby a few months ago. I've heard great things about them though. Just much more convenient to stop by Kenmore for me. Picked up a Spyder 4 pro from them today, and checked out the Rokinon 7.5mm as they just got one in stock (nice lens!). It is great to have a number of M4/3 stuff there to actually try out, I know that is a complaint for a lot of folks in other areas.

They also have the LVF-2 in stock for $199.

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Stupidly, I ordered a GX1. Why did I do that? Well, I'll try it out when it gets here. It looks so gorgeous with the PL25 on it, and I would really like a bit better high ISO and also a custom setting on the dial.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Probably the same reason I blew out all the money that I was saving that I definitely was NOT going to spend on a camera and ordered one too.

Camera gear - 'cuz money doesn't burn itself.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    You're gonna like this one, Bill. The build quality is really nice, it's smaller than you think, and the sensor makes a noticeable difference at high ISO.

• Like Like x 1
  11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Did you copyright that yet? Can I license that as my tagline? Maybe mu-43 and other sites should use it, lol.

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Thanks Amin. I'm looking forward to it. I love my Olys, but I really would like a C1 and C2 mode dial position. I like shooting B&W in 1:1 format, but not all the time. I also like the glowing blue iA button for my wife to use. She has no patience to learn camera settings. I need better files around ISO 1600. Ive made do with an ISO limit of 800 for too long. And because of the EPM1 IBIS issues, I've been shooting with IBIS off for so long now, I've decided it might not be that important. Especially with my main lens being the PL25.

Im really interested in the G5, but given Pannys supply chain in the US, I'm figuring thats not shipping here until January, so I'll start with the GX1. I won't hide it - your positive feedback on the camera has also influenced me, and I also like noce looking cameras. The GX1 with the PL25 is pretty sweet looking.

13. ccunningham

Jul 23, 2010
    Embarassingly, I stuffed that in my sig as soon as I posted it.

Well, you can look at ordering the GX1 body the way Madison Avenue types would explain it. Just tell yourself about how much money you saved. That's what I'm doing. I know it's not true, since I didn't save any money, instead I spent money, but if I keep telling myself "I SAVED MONEY", well, it just doesn't sound nearly as bad as "why did I burn money on another camera I don't need." Will I use my GX-1? Oh yes, yes I will. Would my life be diminished substantially in a meaningful way without it? It's hard to say yet, but I doubt it. So I didn't NEED it. And I went ahead and listed my GF3 body for sale, since I feel like, as far as camera bodies go, if I'm getting one I have to give one up to even things up. I've got more than I need already anyway.

And could someone send Panasonic a note telling them that not every new camera body they design requires a new battery design? I mean how many camera models did Olympus use the BLS-1 in? How many did Nikon use the EN-EL3 in? I know that Olympus and Nikon had to change those battery designs because of regulations governing the battery contact exposure, but they both used their respective batteries in a host of different models, and it was great. There was no need to spend money to get extra different spare batteries for every model.

The thing I have to wonder about is -

What does a regional camera dealer in Washington state think when they suddenly get a bump in orders from new customers all over the U.S.A.?

14. michaeln

michaeln Guest

Reminds me of my ex-wife. She'd come home all excited about having saved so much money on the stuff she'd bought. But even better, she took the money she "saved" and spent that too on money-saving deals, saving even MORE!

Funny how there is no end to that logic. Fortunately, there was an end to the marriage, and now she's somebody else's problem. :smile:

15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The more you buy, the more you save!

16. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    I think I'm going to hold out and maybe pickup an RX100 for my wife since I tend to take my GH2 with primes when I travel for work, wouldn't leave her much to use lens wise if I'm gone.

17. ccunningham

Jul 23, 2010
    See, now that's the power of positive thinking. :thumbup:

18. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    If you don't mind me asking, other than location, why do you prefer Glazers? There's virtually no deals to be had there (do they sell anything below MSRP?) and every time I've went there the staff at the main store has left much to be desired. The next door store with the supplies and film is a different story though.

19. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I have shopped off and on at Glazers, and Optechs when they had their retail store, for over 20 years. And while staff at Glazers years ago were a bit cool if you were not a regular, I have found things to be quite different these past few years as the next generation has taken the helm. I find the staff to be friendly, and their prices are competitive on some products, not so much on others. For example, the P/L 25mm lens that I endedup buying at Kenmore was only $10 more at Glazers. Domke bags are similar to B&H prices, and some Nikon gear is well priced.

The biggest difference between the two stores, from my personal experience, was when I went to sell/trade a Leica body and some lenses. Glazers valued it at over twice what I was offered at Kenmore. I have also been offered good quotes on some other gear that I sold, so they have done well by me these past few years.

In short, I feel very fortunate to have two well-stocked retail stores that are easily accessible as there are some things that I want to see or try before I buy. And for the record, if I try it locally, I buy it locally. If I intend to purchase something by mail order, then I research it on the web or see if a friend has already purchased the item. Bricks and mortar retail is a hard business these days, and I am mindful of their challenges.

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  20. ccunningham

Jul 23, 2010
    Agreed. There is only one store left here (Murphy's,) and while their prices are sometimes higher than Amazon, it's rarely by very much. The difference is typically in the $20-$30 range. If I want to check out gear I buy it there, and when I need something they stock I buy it there, even if I'm just driving over to pick it up. It's handy having a local store.

And the gear they don't stock I buy over the internet.