1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX1 best camera settings tips

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dannat, Aug 3, 2012.

1. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    I couldn't find any threads with the best settings for GX1 cameras, anyone have some links or setup tips?
    Thankyou

2. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Just some settings I use and find helpful:

Rec:
    If you shoot JPG you might want to change some of the photo style settings.
    Face Recognition on if you want that.
    I.Resolution Off
    I.Dynamic Off
    ISO Limit set @ 1600 (can go higher than this, I prefer not to).
    ISO Increments 1/3 EV
    Long Shutter NR ON

Custom menu:
    Guide Line (multi-square)
    AF Assist Lamp Off (for lower light shooting of friends and street)
    AF+MF ON
    MF Assist ON

Display, I use the tilt level and find that useful all the time.

That's about all I have messed with. There are a lot of AF options but I find I lock focus how I want and everything works well (assuming default settings). A lot of the settings you might want to change quickly are found on the Q.Menu button.

• Like Like x 2
  3. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    How about WB? I'm curious as to what people do with their WB settings. I set AWB two notches to amber and one notch to green. I'm trying various things but not really sure which is the "better" setting.

For the photo style, I mostly use standard with +1 sharpness, -2 saturation, -2 NR. Again, not really sure if this is the optimal. Most of my photo styles are setup like that varying only in contrast. -2 for vivid, +1 for natural, +2 for monochrome, +2 scenery, +1 portrait, and +2 custom with standard as the basis for comparing purposes.

I only shoot JPEGs.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Reactions

Reactions Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Norcal
    Gabe
    just curious - why do people shoot in jpg?

i figured if youre in the ball park of spending the $ for the lenses and body you'll have the ability 2 do fixes in lightroom and photoshop

5. Reactions

Reactions Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Norcal
    Gabe
    when im outside i set at 'cloudy'

• Like Like x 1
  6. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Couldn't tell ya, I shoot RAW only.

WB-wise, I'm generally lazy and keep AWB on and correct in post. I only really adjust this if I'm shooting in particular conditions that I know I can set the WB correctly in. Pretty easy to fix after the fact.

7. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    Time and laziness. I do have that ability and I have tried shooting RAW.... but right now I don't have much time to do it all the time.

8. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    I only shoot RAW when I have put in a bit of planning or want a special result, otherwise if I'm just snapping jpeg is usually fine

9. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Then I would definitely tweak your jpeg settings a bit for this camera. Hopefully someone will chime in on some settings, or search for panasonic jpeg settings (something of that nature). I find the exposure is typically underexposed in RAW, but the sensor does well with things in general.

10. LC55

LC55 New to Mu-43

Aug 1, 2012
    I would like to see some tips about GX1 setting too.
    cause I found the GX1 is little off of the WB and saturation. But the exposure is always +2/3 EV on my GX1.

11. rgeorge911

rgeorge911 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What do u do when u convert RAWs? U make them JPEGs, So if a camera is giving u perfect JPEGS then why will I waste my life in front of a computer or laptop? More over we are very busy and people have limited time. Thats why many of us dont prefer to shoot RAW.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

13. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Not a good workflow. You should archive the RAW and perhaps convert them to DNG (digital negative) which you would also archive. . Then open the RAW, edit it, and save it as a PSD or TIFF (non-lossy format). Finally, you can compress the images into JPEGs for distribution and low-cost printing. If you don't want to do the middle step (editing), you should at least consider shooting RAW + JPEG, then archive the RAW and use the JPEG. That way, you preserve the option to save all the details of that special image that will make you famous! Storage is cheap; memories are priceless.

14. chicaboo

chicaboo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2012
    Logan, QLD, Australia
    Gav
    I shoot RAW or RAW+JPG. Save my files straight off the camera to the NAS, and then import [copy as DNG] to my local PC for editing in Lightroom. I find the WB very good on the GX1, so JPG files are pretty much fine, really. If I was on a holiday taking 1000 photos, I would just shoot JPG files. But if I was out taking the usual 150-200 photos, I would still use RAW so I could salvage any exposure or clipping issues in Lightroom.