GX1 back button focus?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by panyuser, Jan 26, 2012.

1. panyuser

panyuser Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2011
    I like setting my D5000 to back button focus:

- the rear AE/AF button is an "AF on" button, making it focus as I hold it down. (AFF is especially useful here.)
    - the shutter button doesn't focus, but does lock exposure when pressed half way

I can't seem to achieve this with the GX1: I can get the focusing decoupled from the shutter button, but then I have no way of locking exposure when in P/A/S modes.

Is there something I've overlooked in the menus, or some other way of achieving something like this that I don't realise?

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Not sure about the GX1, but with the GH2 if you set the rear button to lock AF only, the shutter release button still locks exposure when you press it half way.

3. panyuser

panyuser Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2011
    Annoyingly, once I lock the exposure, the rear AF button stops functioning (or seems to anyway).

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Sorry I can only help with setting up back-button focus on the Olympus cameras... xP This is the only way I use AF on my cameras. I'm sure somebody will know how to do it on the Pannys.

5. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    Is it possible to do on E-PL2 Ned??

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Very much so.

First go to Sprockets => Button/Dial => AEL/AFL, and turn C-AF and MF (or whatever modes you want to use, but I'll explain my choices later) to Mode 3. Next go to Sprockets => Button/Dial => Button Function, and assign whatever button you want to be your back button (ie, like the big red record button or a Fn button) to "AEL/AFL". That will now be your AF button. :)

Now all you have to do is turn your camera to MF for single-AF or to C-AF for continuous-AF using the back-button. Of course, you could also change S-AF to Mode 3 instead of MF, but I prefer to use MF because it adds the S-AF function to your MF mode without taking away any of your MF functions. Then I still have S-AF as normal in case I want to return to the half-press of the shutter (ie, like when handing the camera off to somebody else to use). If you switch to C-AF while on Mode 3, then holding down your back-button will keep continuous AF.

This will work on any Olympus camera I've tried, from E-System DSLRs to PEN System cameras. :) The difference is that on most E-System DSLRs the assignment of the AEL/AFL button is already marked on a dedicated button. You can use that as your back-button, or swap with the Fn button using the "Fn Button Swap" feature (better for those with shorter fingers).

• Like Like x 2
  7. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    You're right. I guess I hadn't noticed because I normally lock focus first and then exposure, but I can see situations where that might not be ideal.

8. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    It's the same on my G2. You have to lock the focus. Then a half press on the shutter release will lock the exposure. If I half press the shutter release first both are locked.

Fred

9. panyuser

panyuser Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2011
    But with this workflow, you have to recompose with locked focus. For closer work, this'll knock your focus out, won't it?

This seems like something they could easily fix with a firmware update; I have no idea why it would force the lock the way it is.

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't see why they would do that either. With the Olympus system you can lock focus with the back button whenever you want, and lock exposure with the half-press of the shutter whenever you want. Full control of both aspects.

• Like Like x 1
  11. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    Not really. You can focus using the composition you want, and lock focus. The meter where you want, and lock that, then recompose back to where you locked focus. A little complicated, but it'll work.

I agree, though, the way it works doesn't make sense.

12. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    Thanks for the info Ned.

13. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    What if you set the back button to the AEL, and let the shutter half-press do the focuing? That would let you change focus after locking exposure, which seems to be what you're after.

14. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    That's the mine is set up. I tend to use exposure compensation more often than lock and reframe, but locking it can be useful from time to time.

Fred

15. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    On the GF1, I set the AF/AE Lock button to AE Lock. Locking focus with the shutter release button. Opposite of how I set up my dSLRS.

G

16. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I do the same on the GF1. But for the dSLR, it's spray and pray :cool:

17. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    I"ll have to try that, but man, it'll require years of retraining after using back-button AF on my EOS gear for so many years.

18. panyuser

panyuser Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2011
    That's what it defaults to (as with most cameras?), and what I have it set to currently.

It's simply that I've heard a few people talk about the wonders of back button focus, so was going to try and get used to it to see if I preferred it. I have it set that way on my D5000, so it'd make sense to have my GX1 set up in the same fashion to avoid confusion.

My thought about back button focus is that it allows you to set focus then (assuming the camera isn't moving much), you can freely press the shutter button without the camera having to think about doing any focusing.

19. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I have on my GX1 set my AF/AE Lock button via the menu to lock my point of focus and then use the shutter release to meter and recompose accordingly - works fine and you can set the button to either lock exposure or AF as you prefer.

Works fine

20. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Ned, I just ran into this phenomenon on my new-to-me G2. After playing with it for a couple days it seems there are some things Panny does that are almost 180 degrees backwards from the way Olympus does them. Not saying Panasonic's way is wrong... just different.

:confused::confused: