1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX1 Aspect Ratio ???

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Streetshooter, May 20, 2012.

1. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I like to change aspect ratio sometimes depending on the tension in the image.
    So if I set from say 3:2 to 4:3 in the menu, I don't see the change on the screen.
    Even going to 1:1 I still see a rectangle.
    The recorded image shows the chosen aspect but not before.
    This is totally weird.
    Any help appreciated. If this is normal, please don't tell me because the camera will be for sale instantly.
    Don

2. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Lois
    Maybe an isolated case
    Tried it with my GX1 and the aspect ratio of image on the display follows as I changed the setting. :)

3. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I've tried everything and still no result.I have a few answers on other forums but no change.
    My patience is wearing very thin....
    Thanks for the support....Don

4. Are you shooting RAW only? Shouldn't make a difference since the RAW comes out cropped just as a jpeg would...just guessing.

5. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Lois
    CMIIW, you mean the picture in the live view stays the same no matter what aspect ratio you are choosing, right ?

6. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Yes, always Raw.
    No matter what aspect I set, I see 3:2. That's ok but sometimes I need 4:3 and it will record that way but doesn't show the selected aspect.

The clock is ticking. My PTSD is kicking in and it ain't gonna be pretty in a day or so.
    Thanks for the support.....

7. slith

slith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2012
    Dublin, Ireland
    Alfonso
    Have you changed the LCD display style? (Custom menu, page 4)?

8. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Hi Don.

I just did a quick check on mine and no such issue. The screen will display whatever aspect I have chosen. I even tested using Sliths suggestion by swapping between the 2 different available screen types as per 'Custom' menu pg4 ....and again, both screen types allowed me to display all aspects.

A strange issue indeed and i can see how it would be a problem. I'll look into more tomorrow evening and see if I can find the catch. Hopefully you're able to sort it out in the meantime.

Joe.

9. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Ok guys. First off, thanks for you kindness and support.

As it turns out, the issue was that somehow I changed the Rec Area to video instead of picture. That's the touch screen thing on the quick menu. So all is well in shooter land.
    The camera gets a pardon.

Thanks again.... Till next time....
    Don

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    LOL this exact same thing happened to me. I was pulling my hair out and finally though to google a solution . . . led me right to here. Once I figured out what "Rec Area" is the solution was found!

• Like Like x 1
  11. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    This was helpful to me also. My EVF has been set at the "cropped" 16:9, I believe for some time now. It has really been anoying me every time I use the GX1 because the reviewed image is full screen, the shot image was not.

It was driving me crazy switching back over between the EM-5 and the GX1 when I didn't have 100% coverage and always had to guess on the framing of my shots. Thanks for figuring this out for me guys! :2thumbs: