GX1, Aperture, and Noise Reduction

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by panyuser, Feb 9, 2012.

1. panyuser

panyuser Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2011
    I set my GX1 to take a raw and jpeg (file, large) picture.

1/100, f1.8, ISO3200 (low light).

The jpg itself is impressive: little noise, yet still so amount of detail, not too much blurring.

Since Apple hasn't released a raw update supporting the GX1 yet, I've used Adobe's DNG Converter to convert the raw file to a dng (compatible with CS3+, so it'll open in Aperture).

The raw file has terrible noise, and no amount of "noise reduction" (sliders at max) seems to help.

Aperture takes out lots of noise from my S90 photos; is there a better way of doing noise reduction in Aperture?
  2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Are you using the de-noise slider in the RAW Fine Tuning panel? If not use that instead of the Noise Reduction panel. You can also adjust sharpening, edges and moire reduction there. These are all applied early in the conversion process and should be optimized before Noise Reduction. Once Apple has a default set-up for the camera you'll rarely need to use these.

3. tom.rob

tom.rob Mu-43 Rookie

CAN'T WAIT for an Aperture update to let me use my GX1 raw files...

We've got a plugin for Aperture which is great for reducing noise, but until the update comes out I'm just using a trial version of Light Room which has some pretty good noise reduction features build in (but I'm still just used to Aperture - crazy I know...)
  4. panyuser

panyuser Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2011
    It's not there, presumably because it's a dng? Likewise, a tick box at the bottom of the RAW Fine Tuning panel is greyed out.

I guess I'll just have to keep shooting raw+jpg until Apple comes out with an update!