GX1 and Panasonic/Olympus external flash

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by mzd, Dec 27, 2013.

1. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    Wisconsin
    does anyone here have a GX1 and either the Panasonic FL360L or the Olympus FL600R?
    i recently got the FL360L used from a member here and it doesn't seem to work as expected. everything is great when it is on the hot shoe but still UNLOCKED, but as soon as i switch it over to LOCK, it won't fire anymore. power stays on, but it doesn't think it is attached to a camera anymore, loses ttl modes, etc. this seems to be the exact opposite of what i would expect. the manual specifically says to lock the flash on the camera.

2. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Greece
    This can only mean that when the scew that locks the flash is tightened, it lifts it a little and the flash contacts do not touch. It should not happen normally. I had the same problem with an old camera where the hot shoe "lips" were a little bent upwards. You can try to bend them a little downwards (just a tiny bit and very carefully) or you can try locking the flash a little ( not all the way) and see what happens. Another thing that could be happening is that the flashgun hotshoe is a little thinner and so it is lifted more than normal when tightened. It can happen with a flashgun that is inserted/ extracted from the hot shoe a lot of times and the plastic shoe is a little worn.

• Like Like x 1
  3. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    I agree Stargate's interpretation but would start by checking that the hole on the hot shoe for the locking pin is clear (all the way down) then check that the locking pin isn' bent and is locating in the hole properly.

There's no electronic check on the locking pin, it's purely a (sensible) physical security.

• Like Like x 1
  4. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Strange, I have a GX1 and the 360L and they work ok. It may be that there is some problem with the connections when locked. I also had some strange behaviour issues, but when I turned "forced flash on" in the flash menu, all started working properly in TTL mode.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    Wisconsin
    thanks for the replies. there isn't a lot of play in the hot shoe, so I'm not sure where the bad connection could be. i'll keep looking at it.