1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX1 and face detection failure

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by stargate, Dec 27, 2013.

1. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Greece
    I gave my GX1 and 20 f1.7 lens to my son to take our picture at a family lunch. I set it up for face detection so as to ensure that at least one of the faces would be in focus.
    The result was a total dissapointment. The camera focused on the nearmost corner of the table disregarding all the faces present. Combined with the f1.7 used, all the people are out of focus but the corner of the table is pin sharp :mad:

Attached Files:

1.jpg
      File size:
      199 KB
      Views:
  2. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    this sort of focus (to a subject at the front of the frame) tends to happen when the camera is switched on and 'shot' rather than the shutter half pressed to aquire a focus lock, then pressed.

there's also the matter of a possible miss match between selected AF points and faces - if it was set to centre single point then there's no obvious face to focus to; givn a little coaxing it will select faces outside that area. much quicker if all points selected, but then the camera would have to choose which faces in a shot like this where they won't all be in focus for the slected aperture (from the look of it)

note - not having that body I have made assumptions about it's basic options. Someone will point out if I am wrong!

3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Face detection takes some time to find the faces, and sometimes fails - you may have to give it some help by shifting the view a bit and refocusing. It always pays to confirm that face detect has actually locked before releasing the shutter (on my E-M5, a white box highlights the detected faces).

In this situation, even if face detect had worked, I think the DoF might be too small at f/1.7 to safely get everyone in focus as they are at quite different distances from the camera, especially if it focussed on the front or back face in the shot, i.e. lady on the left or guy standing up.