GX1 and 4/3 Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by xvvvz, Jul 15, 2013.

1. xvvvz

xvvvz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    I was out shooting with my new-to-me GX1 today and came across a behavior that I can't seem to correct/change. At this time, I am re-reading the 225 page manual but would appreciate it if anyone could please offer some insight.

Maybe I have changed a setting, but if I am in manual mode, when I change a setting like the aperture or shutter speed the view on the display does not change to reflect the new settings, even if I press the shutter button halfway down. For instance, if I stop the lens down from f2.8 to f8 while maintaining the same shutter speed, why doesn't the image on the display become darker? If I change to program mode and change the exposure compensation setting via the thumb wheel to a couple of stops darker, the display gets darker.

I don't understand why it can show the effect/change in one instance but not the other. I was wondering if the exposure compensation is just a simulation? That would make sense because it doesn't seem like this camera has a DOF preview function so maybe it doesn't have the capability to preview the aperture shutting down? If so, I don't know why they couldn't provide a simulation in manual mode too.

Thanks in advance.
  2. xvvvz

xvvvz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    After reading the manual again it looks like a manual method may be possible by programming one of the function buttons to be the Preview function? That seems to achieve what I want via a few manual actions but there isn't a way for the screen to do it "live" without invoking the Preview function? I just want to make sure I am not missing something.

Odd that you have to disable the AE/AL functionality to get Fn2 to function as Preview. I left AE activated on Fn2 and reprogrammed Fn1 to Preview, then moved "One Push AE" from Fn1 to Fn3.
  3. Patrick.K

Patrick.K New to Mu-43

Jul 7, 2013
    The preview function needs processing time and therefore more energy.

Every frame you see on the display is processed in the real shutter time. If you set the shutter at two seconds, you only see an updated preview image every two seconds. This is usually not, what is wanted. So the preview "on demand" is in my opinion the better way.

The fact, that the preview is only available automatically in a few modes comes from the way the aperture an shutter is set. Either automatically by the camera or by yourself (e. g. in M-mode). And as far as I can tell, it also only works with EV+- and not when touching aperture and/or shutter.

If you work with it, you will see the logic behind this behaviour. :)
  4. xvvvz

xvvvz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    Thanks for the reply. I am glad there is at least some way to preview the image and that I wasn't missing a setting to allow a live view in all modes.