GX1 and 20 1.7 distortion

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Soapysyrie, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Soapysyrie

Soapysyrie Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 16, 2012

I have a GX1 and shoot with the 20mm most of the time. I shoot in Raw and process in LR4. Anything with parallel lines it I really notice the distortion and I spend quite a bit of processing time stretching images back to vertical. Is some software missing, or do I need to put a lens profile into LR4? I know that the camera is supposed o correct the barrel distortion.

2. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Can you show an example? It's a bit odd, m4/3 lenses are corrected for distortion even with RAW. Also 40 mm equivalent isn't really prone to distortion, at least not in extreme.
  3. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Uncorrected the 20mm has quite extreme distortion for a prime. LR4 should read the correction data in the RAW file and apply it. If you can see any distortion in the final image, this isn't working, for whatever reason.
  4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Example please? Are we talking lens distortion (which the 20 has, and I usually let DxO correct) or perspective distortion due to the focal length and shooting angle?
  5. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The GX1 makes lens corrections (distortion and CA) when shooting JPGS. I would suggest setting the camera to shoot RAW + JPG, and compare the two images. Vertical distortion can be the result of the lens or not holding the camera parallel to the subject.
  6. Soapysyrie

Soapysyrie Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 16, 2012
    I'm trying a few experiments to see if it's me leaning the camera parallel. Thanks for the heads up.