GX1 always under exposed abit.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by OlgaC4, Dec 17, 2012.

1. OlgaC4

OlgaC4 Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 15, 2012
    I always have to bracket the exposure 1/2 or 2/3 manually which sometimes waste of time when you need to take that shot.

Hopefully they got new firmware to address this issue.
  2. apogee

apogee New to Mu-43

Dec 14, 2012
    Jersey Shore
    I have the same issue with some shots. I would say around 20% are slightly under exposed.
  3. trekker308

trekker308 New to Mu-43

Nov 15, 2012
    Ringwood, Hampshire, UK
    Same experience here - I have permanently dialled in + 1/3 to counter underexposure.
  4. PSimmons

PSimmons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 24, 2010
    Central Florida
  5. las Palm as

las Palm as Mu-43 Regular

i have the same issue too. I made a presset on lightroom with 1/3 exposure. I think its made by Panasonic for safe higlihts
  6. deejjjaaaa

deejjjaaaa Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 28, 2011
    you probably know that LR/ACR apply a hidden /it is not reflected in UI - so you do not see it/ exposure correction = -0.4 EV to GX1 raw files (baseline exposure tag = -0.4) :tongue:
  7. OlgaC4

OlgaC4 Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 15, 2012
    When you adjust the exposure +1/3 or 2/3 in LR/ACR. The picture will suffer some amount of noise which can be seen in larger print.
  8. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yes, but the noise reduction capabilities of LR4 are pretty darned good. Other noise reduction plug-ins are also available.
  9. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    I didn't encounter consistent underexposure with the GX1 but it may depend a lot on metering technique and subject too. Not to mention personal taste - I think people's opinion of under/overexposed can be pretty subjective unless you're blowing highlights or something obvious.

It wouldn't be a bad idea for Panasonic to implement exposure tuning like Nikon where you can fine tune the exposure to your taste. I've always been of the mindset that more options for the end user is generally better, provided you do so without over-complicating the interface in the process.
  10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Ideal exposure is completely subjective and there is no such thing as a camera which consistently underexposes. There is such thing as a camera which consistently underexposes to your taste. Unfortunately for me I love high key exposure so most cameras "consistently underexpose" to my taste, and I use a positive exposure compensation bias on most of my shots except when shooting in a dark setting (in which case I need a negative EC as all cameras will conistently overexpose a dark scene trying to make it a not-so-dark scene). Since I'm always changing compensation or meter reading on the fly with every shot according to the scene and my vision, it makes no difference to me if a camera has a certain bias. I'm hardly ever shooting at the camera's "neutral" exposure anyways.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. OlgaC4

OlgaC4 Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 15, 2012
    When the scene is all over and you are still trying to get the exposure right.
  12. OlgaC4

OlgaC4 Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 15, 2012
  13. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Don't you already have this?

I've been reading this discussion with great interest. Using the thumb wheel The GX1 already allows you to offset the exposure to your personal liking. Isn't this the same as what you propose, like Nikon is offering?

While shooting JPG I often underexpose by -1/3 EV to save some highlights. When shooting in RAW, I often do the opposite knowing I can reclaim some detail in the highlights, and simultaneously pick up some minor shadow detail.

The metering is caliberated using a neutral gray reference. It's no secret that this widely used method does not always produce the best results but it has become the standard. I personally try to expose using the histogram as often as possible. I also agree with the other person who commented that "slightly over / under exposed" is mainly a matter of personal preference. I had a close friend who complained about the same condition. All his problems went away when he properly caliberated his monitor.
  14. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Actually it's 2 different things. Almost all cameras have exposure compensation, which is for what you're describing - adjusting to the scene or shooting conditions on the fly.

The Nikon system is separate from E.C. and is actually for fine tuning the metering system. So if you feel that your camera's metering is always off by 1/3EV for example, instead of always dialing that in to your exposure compensation, you can tell the camera to adjust metering up 1/3EV.

Even though the Nikon I'm using has this feature, I still prefer to just use exposure compensation based on the scene personally. But, I can understand why some people like having the option to tune and it certainly doesn't cost the camera maker much besides some software development time for the firmware.