GX1 - AF accuracy/reliability

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by BigMike, Nov 4, 2012.

1. BigMike

BigMike Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2012
    I've been shooting with the NEX 5N of late and finding I'm getting a lot of back focused shots or just unreliable AF with face detection.

Just wanted to get some feedback on the GX1's AF accuracy and reliability? Looking at making the switch back to m4/3 (used to shoot EPM1).

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    AF on m43 is FAR beyond any of the other mirrorless systems IMHO. Like any system, even PDAF, there is no real way for the camera to read your mind and know what you want to focus on, and sometimes it picks the wrong thing. Faces are pretty reliably detected, but if the persons wearing a hat or sunglasses, all bets are off.
  3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I find center focus with rear focus button to delivery quick and precise focus. No complaints on focus speed or accuracy with SAF.

4. MingTyhMaa

MingTyhMaa Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Lafayette, CA
    Ming-Tyh Maa
    Gary, There is a way to back button focus with the GX1?
  5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I can with the GF1, so I'm presuming you can with the GX1. There are two programmable buttons on the back of the GX1, you should be able to customized one to "AFL" via the menu.

6. Uberkul

Uberkul Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 15, 2012
    Wilseyville, CA
    Yes you can. Had my GX1 set up like that for a while, not enough real estate to be effective though.

I do not use face detection but do make the focus box smaller if fine focus on a certain area is required.