1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX1 Actuations

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by stingx, Sep 10, 2012.

1. stingx

stingx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Weird, NJ
    Hugh Douche
    Hi Guys,

If anyone knows how to determine the shutter count on a GX1 could you please clue me in? I've tried tips I've seen so far and it just doesn't work - unless my hamhock fingers are just too big and I am not holdings the keys down correctly. I really have a need to know the count on my camera.

Many thanks.

2. Rinaldo

Rinaldo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2012
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
  3. stingx

stingx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Weird, NJ
    Hugh Douche
    I find it hard to believe that no one knows how to obtain this information.

4. stingx

stingx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Weird, NJ
    Hugh Douche
    I just closed a session with Panasonic Help Chat. The rep told me there is no way to determine actuations and there is no service menu for the GX1. I basically told her "bull****" and pressed for the information. She wouldn't fess up. I told her to inform her manager that the help provided sucked and that for the fact that Pany cannot provide useful information such as shutter actuations that I'll be switching to Olympus who can.

This is really absurd.

5. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    i can't really understand why this information is very important. i would like to know just for kicks :)

6. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Your output file number should give you an idea of the shutter count. We had a thread on here recently discussing this topic with the GX1. I'm P1130518, which by some comparisons with others seems to indicate 13,518. This makes sense to me judging by when I started taking pictures. Hope this helps.

7. stingx

stingx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Weird, NJ
    Hugh Douche
    Thanks, danska. I was hoping for something more concrete because I believe you can wipe the shutter count. Anyway, by your example then my count, P1010208, should be 1,208?

8. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    That sounds right to me. I've looked high and low haven't come up with anything else. One person said they were able to get the G3 service menu technique to work, but not I.

9. stingx

stingx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Weird, NJ
    Hugh Douche
    Yeah, I've tried the G3 service menu sequence of keys several times to no avail. Thanks again for the reply.

10. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I'm not sure tat you can wipe the 'internal' shutter count ?
    Most cameras I believe have a non resettable shutter count of some sort
    I don't think the 'Reset' option in the menus will actually reset the internal counter although I stand to be corrected ?

11. dymbo

dymbo New to Mu-43

Mar 24, 2013
    Because there is some resource limit for the shutter. Eg for XZ-1/XZ-2 and like that cameras (i do really know it from the service engineer) it's about 30K shots. For m4/3 models the same is about 50K shots, and for the DSLR 100K shots. Although these amounts for Olympus, i doubt Panasonic would somehow overperform it's nearest rival.

So, this is quite important regarding buying used devices, as well as for decisions how long would you use your camera, isn't it the time for some service routines and so on.

12. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    There are three reasons I don't reset the frame counter on my cameras:

-I like to have different/new file numbers for every capture with each body

-I hope to know the total number of actuations for my own knowledge; how much I've used each camera

-To know the total number of pictures taken when/if I decide to sell a camera (for the buyer)

13. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012