1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

GX1 $300 @ Amazon

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by RoadTraveler, Mar 4, 2013.

1. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    I noticed yesterday and today, Amazon has dropped their price another $19 to $300 for a new GX1, body only.

They are temping me, if it ever gets to $250 I'll buy another, at $300 I'm on the fence.

2. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    I was thinking about this today, and how the G3 didn't get much below $300 for long...is this likely the end of the major price drops for the GX1?

3. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    JohnRae
    Buy.com was selling them on eBay for $229 a few weeks back... not sure if that was a price mistake but that will probably be the lowest we'll see it for a while.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Good point, I think I remember that thread, some people got what they ordered and some didn't?

5. turboBB

turboBB Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 4, 2013
    Hi guys, new member here. I decided to jump on this deal and it arrived today.

Two things;
    - please note that this is being sold by an Amazon Marketplace member (Roberts LP) and not directly through Amazon (in which case is selling for $319)
    - there was a sticker over the opening that states "Graded by Warehousedeals" so it seems I received a refurb or used one when I had explicitly searched for new

I have an inquiry to Amazon on whether this is in fact new or used and will post back my updates as soon as I hear from them

Cheers,
    Tim

6. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Thanks for sharing details, I'm with you I'd probably prefer 'new' for $20 more.

Welcome to the forum.

7. Extract0r

Extract0r Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 22, 2012
    eBay seller "bigvalueinc" is selling a new black GX1 body for $270 with free shipping. I am looking for a second body and is very tempted at this price level.

8. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Kenmore Camera has them listed @ $279. I usually place my orders with Jeanette when I purchase from them. She has been very helpful and patient to work with when ordering.

--Ken

9. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    If it is of any help, I looked at B&H today, and they have now discontinued the GH2. Its last body only price was $599, IIRC.

--Ken

10. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Thanks, but wasn't the GH2 always much more expensive?

While I like new gear, if I miss the lowest price before all the new GX1s are gone, I bet there will be lots of inexpensive 'mint' used ones out there.

11. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Very true. The down side to these bargains is a very depressed used market for honest sellers. The only reason that I mentioned the GH2 was for comparison. It was a more expensive camera, but it floored at $599, and then it was gone. So, you need to decide what you will be happy with, and when you want it. Being willing to buy used give you a bit more room if you waited too long for the price of a new body to continue falling.

Good luck,

--Ken

12. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012

13. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    $499 with 14-42 PZ

Just went back to Amazon to see who is selling & shipping.

The $300 offer is sold by Roberts LP yet fulfilled by Amazon as noted by another member here.

For $499 Amazon themselves sells/ships a black GX1 with a 14-42 PZ lens, $100 less than I paid for a Silver w/ 14-42 PZ a couple months ago.

If it wasn't a hassle to sell stuff, I think selling the 'new' PZ lens for $250 would be a good way to get a new black body for $250 (as long as one could easily sell the PZ for $250?).

14. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    The GX1 is a great camera selling for absurdly low prices. I would buy one myself if it wasn't for the fact that I refuse to buy anymore cameras that don't have in-body sensor-shift image stabilization.

I've developed the expectation that I should be able to shoot at 1/2 a second shutter speed with an old MF 50mm lens handheld without any blur due to camera movement. ;) 

Still, at $300 or less the GX1 is a GREAT deal.

15. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Agree. After trying the GX1, then G3, then G5, I preferred the GX1 so I purchased a second and made it my m4/3 camera of choice for now.

I'd like to have one more body. As you say, for $300 or less, a great camera.

16. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    Search ebay and then put all the PZ lenses that are being sold off on your watch list and wait a few days and see what the going rate is. I think $250 "new" is certainly possible. I bought the PZ lens a few weeks ago and they were selling for $275 on average. Also, I note that ebay has a promo going on where if you sell electronics worth $200, you get a $50 coupon. Camera equipment is considered part of electronics.

17. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Thanks for the tip. I think $250 is a good deal for a forum member (I have a mint one already) and just posted in the member For Sale section.

James

18. turboBB

turboBB Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 4, 2013
    As an update, it turns out this was in fact a returned item. Upon opening the box and inspecting the camera, there was heavy fingerprints on the screen, but all else seemed fine. I was willing to keep it if they were willing to discount the item a little to save me the trouble of returning it but they suggested that I just return the item.

I ended up going for the one sold by Amazon which carries a 2% reward after 35 days so total ended up being $312.62.

19. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Thanks for the details and update.

20. darcius1

darcius1 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Sandwich Isles
    Not too much more than the cost of a VF2.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.