GX1+25mm - SFX

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Iansky, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Out today on a wet & windy day, I thought I would try the 25mm and convert to B&W in SFX - happy with the results and the fine detail is superb.

• Like Like x 8
  2. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Superb as always, Ian..... :thumbup:

Looks like your're real happy with the GX1 as the replacement for your GF1......
  3. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Beautiful work Ian. Really contemplative.
  4. Kaze

Kaze Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 9, 2011
    Great shot Iansky, I'm impressed with the detail across the range, if I'd attempted this I suspect I would have lost detail in the highlights... Any tips?
  5. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I shot at -1/3 EV but in fairness, I am finding that GX1 does hold highlight detail a lot better than my previous GF1 used to.

I also shoot in Raw which allows better retention.
  6. Kaze

Kaze Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 9, 2011
    Thanks Ian, I have also switched completely to raw and am enjoying the benefits, but for all my time in photography I have never experimented with EV compensation. Lately I've assumed that this flexibility in post processing would cancel out any benefit but I think it's time to start experimenting to get the best out of the e-pl2. thanks for the tip.

I like the look of the GX1 its good to hear from real m3/4 users about the performance improvements and I'm tempted for the upgrade, however I've decided to wait and see how the new OM-D is rated by owners, I've handled one at the Focus exhibition and was impressed, the viewfinder was superb and this is something I miss particularly in bright sunshine.
  7. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    DSLR or true Mu43

Hi Kaze,

I can sympathise with you on your decision - for me it was easy, I have a DSLR that I am happy with and puposely went with my original GF1 to maintain a small footprint camera that is easy to carry and does not attract undue attention, I did look at the Pany G series but found them too SLR like and not what I wanted.

The OMD looks on paper like a superb camera (despite some early reports of flaking paint) but to me it is still a DSLR and if fitted with extra battery pack is quite a large packet that makes me question the need (for the same size you could get a DSLR with APS-C sensor), it look DSLR style and as such I feel will attract more attention than the micro systems and as the GX1 produces slightly better images than the G3, it meets my requirements perfectly and has served me very well during my recent India trip (some images at link below)

571 Photography

Good luck with your decision
  8. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Well done. Thanks for sharing.
    • Like Like x 1