1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX1 + 14-42X or wait?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by dhazeghi, Oct 15, 2012.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    So I've been looking to get the 14-42X for my E-PM1 for some time, as my compact-replacement (I had an XZ-1 before). The only problem is that when I tried the 14-42X, it had the usual blurring-at-42mm problem. I was hoping that the problem would be fixed, but so far it seems Panasonic isn't doing anything, so I guess there's no real reason to wait.

While checking 14-42X prices, I saw that it's actually not much more to get a whole GX1/14-42X kit (especially if I sell my E-PM1). $460 for the kit, vs. $290 for the lens (secondhand).

However, I've also seen reports that the electronic shutter on the G5 pretty much fixes the problem with the 14-42X. So I'm wondering whether it may just be a better idea to wait a few months for the GX2 or whatever other Panasonic replacement comes out. The price probably won't be very attractive, but a silent mode and the ability to use all shutter speeds on the 14-42X does seem pretty appealing.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    After looking at every 14-42X sample and user report I could find, I've decided to wait. Too many constraints in terms of shutter speed and aperture, and what with the plummeting prices of m4/3 bodies, the longer I wait, the better my bank account will feel about the whole thing.

3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    GX1 pricing is pretty tempting at the moment for what is a very good camera. There was some talk recently of a GX2, some sources even claim that an announcement is imminent this month....unless desperate could be worth waiting for. gH3 sensor, in built viewfinder are the key rumors....either way, any GX2 will probably mean further gx1 price drops.

4. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'm actually not sure about that. Panasonic bodies seem to go down to $300 or so and then stay at those prices for a while (except for the GF3). The GX1 looks quite good, but the lens doesn't (without the electronic shutter), and without that lens, the size advantage over the E-M5 becomes not very interesting.

5. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Well, I use it with GX1 and it seems ok to me. I really like the compact form factor that it gives me. I think that lens may be completely without issues with Olympus's IBIS and soft shutter of EM5. One of these days I'll try that combo for myself :)

I can't quite imagine what Panasonic will put in GX2 that would make people buy it over the very attractively priced GX1. Better sensor? GX1 sensor is pretty damn good as it is. I seriously doubt they will put the EVF into the body. Maybe another model.

I wouldn't be surprised honestly if they just kill GX line for a while, sort of like Olympus killed EP. GX line just doesnt make much sense ( at its original price) and I bet the sales figures reflected that.

6. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I wouldn't underestimate just how popular a GX or PEN type body would be with a built in EVF....I think it would sell like hot cakes. People have been crying out for something like that ever since I can remember.

7. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I am sure it would, but it would cannibalize sales of other models - G and GH for Panasonic and OMD for Olympus. Plus it would really piss off all the people who invested in external EVF :smile:
    I think if they ever do release such a model it will be very expensive - like GX1 plus EVF on release ( 600USD body plus 250 USD VF = ouch! same calculations for EP3) . I would like to see it but I wonder how many they would sell on release. I'll pick on up a few months later on the cheap :cool:

8. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    A rangefinder style w/ built in EVF is not going to compete with E-M5 as it won't have the 5axis IBIS nor weather sealing. I'd look very closely at one and I have the E-M5 and a GX1. I use the GX1 with the viewfinder, and if I could get the exact camera but with the viewfinder built in I'd gladly pick one up. As seen from the past models by both manufacturers, they don't implement all features in any one body, all have there unique features to differentiate them. I have the E-M5 for the ibis and built in viewfinder, and the GX1 to use with the 7-14 to avoid purple issues that happen with the E-M5. They will never design one model to trump all others, as it means less volume in sales, which is there goal. Marketing has nothing to do with what best suits the consumer, it's how to gather the most sales.

9. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I think if they ever do release such a model it will be very expensive - like GX1 plus EVF on release ( 600USD body plus 250 USD VF = ouch! same calculations for EP3) . I would like to see it but I wonder how many they would sell on release. I'll pick on up a few months later on the cheap :cool:[/QUOTE]

I don't see you logic here, the comparison to another model is kind of moot.
    E-M5 w/14-42 was originally $1099 , now lets compare to equivalent equipment in another model you mention E-P3, the former top Olympus m4/3 body...
    E-P3 w/14-42 $899 plus VF-2 $249( to give the viewfinder) equals $1148
    Now to me, for less camera its $49 more.
    Also, G5 comes out after GX1 and gives more features, and everything the GX1 has feature wise, yet it costs less especially if you include the LVF-2. Why would they do this? Probably to cover different buyers for similar product, and gather a larger sales volume. It's not all about what we want, it's about confusing us and selling more units per customer and controlling the flow of increasing technology and profiting as much as possible per increase.

10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I'd like to see more feedback with Olympus Pen owners who use the 14-42X and can let us know if the vibration and softness issues are real or not.

11. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Still no sign of the GX2. Have to say I'm a little surprised what with the GX1 selling for $400 or less as it does these days...

I've been using my old XZ-1 as a stopgap, and while the camera itself is great, it's frustrating not to be able to get clean images even at base ISO (plus the lens is visibly weak in the corners).

12. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I am not surprised. I wouldn't be surprised if they put it on hold for a while in fact. How could they compete with Olympus models that now have superior OMD sensor at a lower price? The best GX2 would get is a G5 sensor which is reportedly not as good. They can't really lower the price too much because they have GF5 to worry about. Maybe there's just no market for a premium build m43 model without a viewfinder. That's what Olympus seems to have decided in skipping the EP this time around.

13. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I don't think the difference in sensor is that large, particularly since most of the folks looking at these cameras are JPEG shooters to begin with.

Panasonic can offer a pocketable zoom kit capable of silent shooting with a tilt LCD and including a built-in flash without much difficulty, and for $600-700 it would sell quite well I think. Or they can continue to try and sell a year-old model for $400-450...