GX1+14-42X + 45-175mm

Iansky

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Finally got fed up with the issues around my Leica M8.2 kit - poor image quality over 320ISO, problems focussing due to my eyes and diopter lens stupid prices, LCD issues so had it replaced last year and think it is starting again so got fed up and arranged a great trade in (well straight swop).

Fuji X100 + shade, case, spare battery + EF20 flash
Panasonic GX1 + 14-42X, 45-175X, LVF2, spare battery & case (when available)
Nikon 24-120 f4 AFS - G lens.

I am due to get everything next week except the LVF2 + 14-42X + case that should arrive next year.

I am looking forwards to getting the GX1 and seeing how it performs in comparison to my GF1.

Can any current owners of the camera plus above lenses let me know their thoughts as it will help me make the right decision on what to do with my current GF1.

Thanks,
Ian

Dangermouse1968

Mu-43 Regular
Ian, whilst I don't do muych B&W or street I really love your pictures and like you have stuck with my wonderful GF1 (with the 14-4?, 20mm and 45mm) but I have money in the bank waiting if the gx1 is good enough. So I would really apreciate it if you could let us know how you get on with it both first impressions and later on down the line, thanks, David

Iansky

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Will do

Ian, whilst I don't do muych B&W or street I really love your pictures and like you have stuck with my wonderful GF1 (with the 14-4?, 20mm and 45mm) but I have money in the bank waiting if the gx1 is good enough. So I would really apreciate it if you could let us know how you get on with it both first impressions and later on down the line, thanks, David

Hi David,

When I get it I will post some images from it - not a review, but my initial thoughts in comparison to the GF1.

I currently shoot 99% of my images with the GF1+20 and my other lens is the original metal mount 14-45 so will see what the 14-42X lens is like next year when it arrives (Jan I have been told).

Iansky

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Uk in Jan

That's odd, that it's not available yet in the UK. At least one online store in Holland has it in stock, already for a week or two. :confused:

Hi Ad,

The store I am dealing with is part of a Large chain and they have told me that the UK cannot expect to receive stocks (other than grey imports) of the 14-42X until sometime in Jan.

They are expecting delivery of the GX1 + 45-175X this Fri (9 Dec) according to the delivery note from Panasonic - they also have a spare battery on stock already.

I am hoping Panasonic release a camera case similar to that of the GF1 soon as it works well as a half case adding good protection.

Also need to wait until Jan for delivery of the LVF2.

Happy to wait though as I am sure it will all prove a great combination (providing they have sorted out the focus issues on the 14-42X)!

addieleman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ad
Happy to wait though as I am sure it will all prove a great combination (providing they have sorted out the focus issues on the 14-42X)!
Well, it's something to look forward to. I really like my X 45-175mm so far, I hope you'll like your new gear too.

Anthonys

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Anthony
Were you able to buy the GX1 and 45-175 as a kit together? Or did you just purchase everything separately? I'm more interested in the lens but also tempted to give my G3 to my partner (as her camera is starting to show it's age) and get a GX1 body for myself so interested to see what you think of it. Apparently Panasonic are also giving out free copies of Lightroom with the GX1 if you buy before the end of the year?

WoodWorks

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
David
Can any current owners of the camera plus above lenses let me know their thoughts as it will help me make the right decision on what to do with my current GF1.
I won't get my GX1 for another few days. But I've had the 14-42X lens for more than 3 weeks now, and what a sorry disappointment it has been. With OIS turned on it's almost unusable at full zoom. Turn the OIS off, or use it on a tripod, and you're good to go. But even with the v1.1 firmware update it can't match the sharpness or contrast of my 14-140mm. Its only advantage seems to be its diminutive size, and frankly, I just end up using my 14mm, 20mm, and 45mm primes 99% of the time.

I'm still in the process of playing phone tag with Panasonic customer support, and haven't yet made up my mind whether or not to exchange it or just return it. But right now I'm leaning toward returning it and waiting to see if Panasonic can iron out the kinks. Given that they just issued the firmware update, I don't expect to hear good news any time soon.

David

addieleman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ad
Were you able to buy the GX1 and 45-175 as a kit together? Or did you just purchase everything separately? I'm more interested in the lens but also tempted to give my G3 to my partner (as her camera is starting to show it's age) and get a GX1 body for myself so interested to see what you think of it. Apparently Panasonic are also giving out free copies of Lightroom with the GX1 if you buy before the end of the year?
No, I bought the X 45-175mm only. I'm perfectly happy with my present cameras GH2 and G1 and I'm not interested in a viewfinderless camera (yeah I know, LVF-2, nah); however, I'm looking forward to see if the rumoured weatherproof camera will become reality.

gfspencer

Mu-43 Regular
I'm keeping my M8 (and four Leica lenses) but I am going to pick up a GX-1 . . . to go with the 25mm F1.4 lens . . . . that I bought for my old GF-1. :confused:

The GX-1 isn't due here in the states until mid-month. :frown:

Latest threads

Top Bottom