1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX1 - 12 megapixels?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by krugorg, Oct 28, 2011.

1. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Know nothing about Photo Rumors, but they posted the following today re: the GX1:

"Today the Panasonic GX1 was announced to the press only. The new camera will have 12mp, high ISO of 12800, it will look like the GF1 but with grip, very fast AF (0.09 sec), touch screen. Two different colors will be available: black and silver."

About the Panasonic gx1 | Photo Rumors

Huh. I am still secretly hoping that either Oly or Pana does something similar to Fuji's EXR - option to tradeoff some mpx to improve DR or low light performance (assuming that works well).

2. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I prefer to see the evidence for myself and hope Panasonic have got it right or it will prove a "flop".

3. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    We were all waiting at least for a sensor update (the G3 one is the basic) but we read that the sensor will be the 'old' 12 MP. I think that Panasonic should be very carefull, like Ian says, otherwise it will certainly be a flop; I for sure will not buy another 12MP sensored camera which has more or less the same performance as the ones trhet are on the market today.

4. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    I'm pretty sure they won't give the gx1 the old 12mp sensor. It makes no sense at all. The camera will be of a higher specs level, and the sensor must go with the rest. It will be like trying to sell Ferraris with a "3 cylinders" 1.0 l. engine.

5. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Sometimes what companies can do may be really non-sense to us.

6. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    This is an interesting development in the rumor mill. We had heard earlier that the GX1 would have the G3 sensor - which would be fine by me. I wonder how much the new camera will cost.

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    G3, EP3, EPM1, EPL2 (my current camera). I don't see any reason to buy anything new, with these four bodies around, until they release an upper enthusiast camera with a great built in EVF.

8. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    On the other hand, if it's a new 12mp sensor with the better technology of the sensor in the G3, it' would be an excellent sensor for high iso shooting.

9. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Well we only have to wait a little bit and see how this new machine works on a real life basis; then make our conclusions.

10. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Based on the assumption that this is an "X" camera to supposedly go with the high end "X" lenses (which may not be true, especially if the LCD resolution rumor is correct) the only way this rumor makes sense is if it is either the modified old sensor (as used in the EP3 - and done as a "favor" to Olympus to get some volume and keep their price reasonable) or a "binned" version of the G3 sensor, using multiple pixel sites for increased light gathering.

While either is possible, I don't see them as likely.

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Makes sense to me.
    -Sony failed in putting too many megapixels on the NEX-7
    -Nikon was correct in limiting their 1 system to 10mp

GH2 sensor downgraded to 12mp=GREAT! :2thumbs:

12. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    maybe it's multi-aspect? I'm honestly hoping it will be better than the G3. Not likely, but I would like to see Panasonic moving a little faster. I would love to see a 1stop+ jump for the G4/GH3 (given these things seem to be on a near yearly basis... )

13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I don't have a problem with 12mp. The 12mp sensor on my 5D is wonderful ... if Panasonic can somewhat replicate that performance on the ยต4/3 platform ... I'd be first in line for the GX1.

G