GX-8 Timelapse function- faulty?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Levster, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I've tried to use the Timelapse function a few times for Astrophotography work but I can't seem to get it to work. I set my camera up for a 60 second exposure, set up Timelapse for 30 shots with a 1 second interval and then attempt to set it off. The camera instructs me to hit the shutter button but after doing that the LUMIX logo comes up on the LCD and the camera turns itself off. I have had marginally more success with faster shutter speeds for normal shots but the camera has crashed a couple of times. Has anyone else had this experience?

2. yoshi234

yoshi234 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2010
    West Hollywood
    I did several 1K+ shot time lapses this week and all started fine. The problem I had was that when it went to put together the movie file (set to 24P, 4K), it left it as 4:3 even thought I had set the ratio to 16:9 before starting the TL sequences.

I'll have to try some long exposure TLs and see what happens on my GX8.

3. Levster

I do wonder if there is some upper limit to exposure length. I couldn't see one in the manual when I looked.

4. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Top of page 198 - "set the recording interval so that it will be longer than the recording time"

• Like Like x 1
  5. Levster

Thank you, that seems to have done the trick!

6. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    You are welcome:)

7. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Panasonic cameras have a super confusing timelapse implementation...it's actually the least intuitive thing in their user interface.

The total time lapse length is set by the Interval * the Number of Shots, regardless of the shutter speed.

So if you want to take 90 shots with exposures that are 60s long with a 1 second interval for no gaps in between (say you want to do star trails), you would set it to interval 1s and 5400 shots.

Very confusing, especially since (at least on my GX7) if you set it the interval to 61s for a 60 second exposure, it will still wait for 61 seconds in between shots...

8. Levster

I gave up and bought a JJC remote shutter instead!

9. GShooter

GShooter Mu-43 Regular

I have been doing time lapse star trails with the LX100 and have found that the shortest interval you can set for the camera to take continuous images for one minute exposures is 5 secs..ie set the interval for 1 minute and 5 secs. I thought that this might be because of the time needed to write to the card, but seeing that it will do 11 frames per second in burst mode I don't think this could be right. More likely Panasonic have engineered it this way to allow the sensor to cool down between exposures. I could be wrong on that as well though.

10. Levster

Using my GM5 I had it set up for an interval of 1 min 10 secs for an exposure time of 1 min, which worked fine. It does seem that you need to account for buffer time.

11. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Hmm, weird. I wonder if they allow some cool-down time for the sensor for long exposures?

Because when I use my workaround of setting an outrageous number of frames and a 1 second interval, it takes the next frame instantly (well, in 1 second!) with no extra buffer time necessary.

12. AcridSaint

AcridSaint Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    North Carolina
    Whenever I take long exposures on the GX8 it comes up with a counter for "processing" the long exposure image and counts down from 3 to 0. I shoot in raw, so I'm not sure what kind of processing it's doing, but it may be cooling off or writing, although I'm using the fastest cards the camera will support. The same thing may be happening in time-lapse without showing it on the screen.

13. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Is that with long-exposure noise reduction on? I think it does that for anything longer than 3 seconds or so...but the processing lasts the full duration of the exposure.

14. AcridSaint

AcridSaint Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    North Carolina
    I'll have to check when I get home. I thought that I had turned it off, but it may be on.

15. AcridSaint

AcridSaint Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    North Carolina
    Long shutter NR is turned on, explaining the behavior.