GX 7 or G7

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by photoeagle, Dec 21, 2015.

1. photoeagle

photoeagle Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2015
    Brad Harris
    Learning about various cameras available in 4/3. Users of the GX7/G7 what are your experiences, what do you like/dislike.

Preference Gx7 or G7?
  2. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    They are significantly differently styled so I would recommend holding one before buying. That said, panasonic has imho ergonomics down much better than olympus so both are good. Benefits of the GX7 are the built in IBIS (not as good as Oly). The G7 has 4K video and a bigger EVF. If your focus is stills I would prefer the GX7 (which I own myself). If you are into video the G7 seems to be the better option.
  3. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

• Handling
    • Video Quality
    • Useful to have IBIS for primes

• Viewfinder is like staring into a cave

• Handling
    • Viewfinder
    • Price
    • Video Quality

• Nothing yet! Although IBIS would be nice to have.
  4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    If you're okay with the larger size of the G7, it has an awful lot to recommend it.

The GX7 has extremely good build quality and decent IBIS, and I personally like its form factor. But if you're okay with the mini-DSLR look of the G7, its performance is hard to beat for the price it sells for. Just the 4K Photo features alone and the better AF-tracking would be hard to resist if I was in the market now.

That said, the GX7 is available for insanely cheap these days, especially if you're buying used...
  5. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Mu-43 Regular

Nov 29, 2014
    The GX7 is my favorite camera right now. I have a G6 and a few Pentaxes but I usually just grab the GX7. Positives for me: it handles well, good build, price, control placement, image quality.
    Cons: viewfinder but just slightly because I am left eyed and don't like the nose marks/smear on the LCD screen. Wi-fi to transfer photos from camera to computer: it rarely works and when it does it's very slow.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  6. Manu-4Vendetta

Manu-4Vendetta Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
    GX7 isnt the best option for video, a great camera for still and very comfortable, now I have the GX8, better camera but less portable than GX7. The look like a great camera, principally for video.
  7. Generationfourth

Generationfourth Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2015
    I was debating between the two for a while.

Can any one comment on focus assist (using thumb on LCD, eye on evf) with the G7? once I experienced that with the GM5 I could never go without a left positioned EVF
  8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

G7 for video, GX7 for IBIS. G7 has much better CAF with modern Panasonic/Leica native lenses due to DFD.
    Most importantly though, range finder or SLR style?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    I'll add size (the G7 is notably bigger) and flash sync speed (GX7 is 1/320 vs G7 is 1/160).
  10. I just upgraded from a GH2 to a G7. The differences between the two are small and immense at the same time. The G7 is only a few millimeters off from the GH2 (don't ask me why people think it is big, it is tiny) but the fit in the hand is way better. The PIP with peaking in the G7 greatly simplifies using manual lenses, especially if you program Fn1 to turn PIP on. (Any way to do this with a half shutter depress?) Image quality of the two cameras is very similar, but the G7 will provide noise-less results at ISO800; the GH2 began to break down at that point.
    As for the GX7 vs. the G7, I think the only big differences are the IBS of the GX7 and the and hand fit of the G7. For me, I want the ergonomics of the G7. I can live without IBS as I have steady hands and the electronic shutter helps to steady low light shots as well. The GX8 with its 20MP imager would be nice, too, but at a much higher cost.
    These cameras are all good. If they have a common failure, it is that they are very complicated and learning to get the most out of them takes time and dedication to learning all of their features. They are not cameras for photo novices.
  11. Dave Reynell

Dave Reynell Guest

I have had a G1 for going on seven years and am now looking to upgrade to the G7. I have held the latter and have to agree the ergonomics of Panasonic's G7 is superb. Probably the best of any camera I have ever picked up.
  12. Don't look at a GH4 then. You would be really spoiled as its larger size provides an even better hand fit - at three times the cost of a G7! The G7 continues to impress and I've not even used half of its advanced features yet.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Taurahe

Taurahe Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2015
    The g7 is so good I bought two of them. I am still learning as I am coming from dslr but the size for performance is incredible. The g7 provides excellent high Iso iq, super fast af, excellent ergonomics, all on a package that is compact and fast. If your not into the 4k video the g7 still has something to offer.... The 4k photo mode is a blast to play with, as is the post focus ability. While the ibis of the gx7 is great, coming from nikon I never had it Soni can't miss it per se. My suggestion is to try and play with both and see which one strikes your fancy
  14. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    G7 is the best camera in the world! :p Joking but I'm a big fan.

Anyways I don't have a GX7 but I have used one. It has better magnesium body but honestly I don't see any other advantage.

Yes it's awesome! I don't think Panasonic gets enough credit for innovative features like this. The touch pad evf focus assist was introduced back in the G5 and I'm glad it is finally catching on! My G2 was the first with touch screen and I remember reading comments about it being a gimmick back then. Now when I read camera reviews not having a touch screen is counted as a negative. Go figure.

G7 is not "notably bigger". In fact they are practically the same size except G7 has a larger grip that protrudes. It is true flash sync is better on the GX7 though.
    There is a strange misconception that the G series are large cameras due to their DSLR shape but they are in fact very compact cameras.

Here's the GX7 and G5 together. The G5 is super tiny (G7 is slightly larger)

All my Gs:

Family photo
    by Vincent Tsai, on Flickr
  15. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    Gx7 is positioned as a high end model and has some more high end features, like faster max shutter speed, better build quality, higher bit depth with electronic shutter mode. Different screen design , some people prefer tilty screen .
  16. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    We'll have to agree to disagree. The protruding grip is only part of what make it bigger. The EVF also protrudes further. The G7 is also almost 20% taller with more mass around the hot shoe. A while ago I stopped at a local store to look at a lens and played with the G7. I had a small bag with the GX7 I had then and two small lenses. The G7 would not fit in the bag with a lens mounted.

Brad asked for difference, that's one that struck me when I tried it out. The link below is to the camera size site. Select front and top view for each and put the GX7 in front of the G7. To me those differences are noticeable.

Compare camera dimensions side by side
  17. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    They are not significant enough for me but clearly they are to you. Just illustrates how personal choosing a camera can be! Well he's got points of view from both camps to consider!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. snk_se

snk_se New to Mu-43

Jul 28, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I'm borrowing the thread, hope it is ok. :)
    The G7 is selling very cheap atm and I am having a hard time resist it since i I sold some of my Canon gear. Been using a E-M5 since it's release and also a GF7 lately but there is one thing my remaining Canon does very well and that is CAF when shooting at airshows. Would a G7 with the new 100-400 or the older 100-300 keep up with moving planes as a "classic" dslr does or will it miss a lot? I have understood that Panasonic has a better CAF than Olympus but is it fast enough for airshows you think?
  19. Grab a cheap G7. You won't be disappointed. All this talk about how big the G7 is has me puzzled. I've been shooting a GH2 for almost five years and no one has ever suggested it was too big. In fact, it is too small for my hands and I can only get two fingers around the grip - my pinky goes uselessly below the camera.

I was looking forward to the G7 being a bit bigger than the GH2, and when I purchased one, I was disappointed to find that it is nearly exactly the same size. (Had I read the dimensions of the two cameras from the spec sheets, I would have known that the G7 is ONE mm wider, 4mm lower and ONE mm deeper.) The difference is in how the G7 changed the grip, which is now perfect, and Panasonic added just enough real estate to the back for your thumb to have a clear resting place. I can wrap all three fingers onto the the G7 grip. Then they changed the buttons so that they are not as easily bumped and added a setting to lock the menu button and its four associated buttons. The difference is night and day and the G7 is a joy to shoot

Get one. You'll like it.
  20. e_kjellgren

e_kjellgren Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    I handled a G7 in a shop last week and was nearly chocked it was so light and plasticy. My GX7 and GM1 feel much more like quality items in my opinion.
    • Agree Agree x 1