GX-7 or G5 for Aeroplane's in flight

Paul80

Mu-43 Veteran
hi all

Quick question I hope

Tomorrow I have to chance to attend a military show that is going to have a once in a lifetime chance of photographing two Lancaster Bombers in flight, never done this before

I have a Lumix G5 and Lumix GX-7 and the Panasonic 100-300

Which of the two cameras will give me the best chance in capturing these two planes in flight and in focus.

I assume it will be the GX-7 as that is the newer model, am I correct.

Thanks

Paul

Cederic

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Neither will work. You're just going to have to pass your ticket on to me and I'll grab the pictures for you.

It's ok, I wont charge.

dwig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
... a once in a lifetime chance of photographing ...
equals: take both and make sure all batteries are fully charged and take extra memory cards.

I suspect that the GX-7 might technically be the better choice, but the difference is small and if you are more comfortable and experienced with the G-5 it might be the better choice.

Ellsass

Mu-43 Regular
I wonder if the GX7’s rolling shutter effect would skew the planes

biomed

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike
I wonder if the GX7’s rolling shutter effect would skew the planes
I have never had an issue with photographing flying aircraft with the GX7 using the electronic shutter. It is possible, so be safe rather than sorry and use the normal shutter. The 100-300 zoom may make tracking the aircraft difficult. I used to experience rolling shutter distortion occasionally when shooting high speed aircraft in flight with my Nikon F2 and other film SLRs.

Paul80

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks for the replies

Thinking about it I might get better results with the 40-150 Olympus lens on the GX-7.

If I get anything worth while I will post an update when I get home tonight.

Paul

kingduct

Mu-43 Veteran
Do you have a strong preference on ergonomics? In full daylight, the ergonomics might matter more for you than the sensor. Go with the camera that is more comfortable and that you are more familiar with (and take the other as a backup!).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom