1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GX-7 or G5 for Aeroplane's in flight

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Paul80, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    hi all

Quick question I hope

Tomorrow I have to chance to attend a military show that is going to have a once in a lifetime chance of photographing two Lancaster Bombers in flight, never done this before

I have a Lumix G5 and Lumix GX-7 and the Panasonic 100-300

Which of the two cameras will give me the best chance in capturing these two planes in flight and in focus.

I assume it will be the GX-7 as that is the newer model, am I correct.

Thanks

Paul

2. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    Neither will work. You're just going to have to pass your ticket on to me and I'll grab the pictures for you.

It's ok, I wont charge.

• Like Like x 2
  3. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    equals: take both and make sure all batteries are fully charged and take extra memory cards.

I suspect that the GX-7 might technically be the better choice, but the difference is small and if you are more comfortable and experienced with the G-5 it might be the better choice.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    +1 on batteries and cards... :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

5. Ellsass

Ellsass Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    I wonder if the GX7’s rolling shutter effect would skew the planes

6. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    Only if using the electronic shutter, which is buried deep in the menus. The default is normal shutter.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

7. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    I have never had an issue with photographing flying aircraft with the GX7 using the electronic shutter. It is possible, so be safe rather than sorry and use the normal shutter. The 100-300 zoom may make tracking the aircraft difficult. I used to experience rolling shutter distortion occasionally when shooting high speed aircraft in flight with my Nikon F2 and other film SLRs.

8. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Thanks for the replies

Thinking about it I might get better results with the 40-150 Olympus lens on the GX-7.

If I get anything worth while I will post an update when I get home tonight.

Paul

9. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    no pics at all?
    :(

10. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    Do you have a strong preference on ergonomics? In full daylight, the ergonomics might matter more for you than the sensor. Go with the camera that is more comfortable and that you are more familiar with (and take the other as a backup!).