GX-7 Help

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
I picked up a Pana 20/1.7, a lens I have been meaning to get ever since I got into m43. It came attached to a GX-7. Having only ever had Olympus cameras before this, I have to say that it is a neat little camera.

I am, however, struggling to use it successfully. The viewfinder is a challenge with my glasses and the menu system is still unfamiliar. My 9yo is very keen on a "real" camera and I am thinking that he will enjoy using it with the P12-32. However, before I do that, I want to make sure that I can support him.

Any tips from gx-7 users and those with a mixed stable of bodies which will help me get up to speed faster would be greatly appreciated.

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel
EVF is indeed difficult to see in glasses, but it should be possible to make the visible area slightly smaller in the menu (this setting is in the custom settings menu, I believe).

I would also suggest setting up the camera exactly how you want it and then saving the settings to one of the three custom modes (C1, C2 and C3 on the mode dial).

I have my GX85 (which is very similar) set up as following:

C1 - general shooting in the aperture priority mode
C2 - for freezing action (shutter priority mode)
C3 - video with manual focus and manual exposure

C1 and C2 share my preferred settings for auto ISO, Fn buttons assignments, etc.

mumu

Mu-43 Veteran
I picked up a Pana 20/1.7, a lens I have been meaning to get ever since I got into m43. It came attached to a GX-7. Having only ever had Olympus cameras before this, I have to say that it is a neat little camera.

I am, however, struggling to use it successfully. The viewfinder is a challenge with my glasses and the menu system is still unfamiliar. My 9yo is very keen on a "real" camera and I am thinking that he will enjoy using it with the P12-32. However, before I do that, I want to make sure that I can support him.

Any tips from gx-7 users and those with a mixed stable of bodies which will help me get up to speed faster would be greatly appreciated.
A few random thoughts:
  • You can activate the touch screen so you can touch the screen to move the focus point. You can also enable touch AF to work WHILE you're looking through the EVF. I tried this for a while but found that I often moved the AF point with my nose so instead I re-configured the rear 4-way controller so that if I pressed on any of the cardinal direction buttons it immediately moved the AF point.
  • If you go into AF adjustment mode (eg: you move the AF point), pushing the Display button will immediately move the AF to the center of the screen. Very handy.
  • The GX7's mechanical shutter sounds terrible and is relatively loud. By default I have mine set to electronic shutter. But for some types of indoor lighting and for flash use you'll have to revert to the mechnical shutter.
  • If you're using the rear screen in its horizontal mode, it's a good idea to tilt the EVF up so that its eye sensor isn't triggered by your stomach (the assumption being that you're holding the camera at waist level).
  • Buy the optional eye cup for the EVF, it makes it much more pleasant to use in bright light.
  • Buy spare batteries. I've been using Wasabi batteries and chargers from Amazon on all my m43 cameras.
  • The Quick Menu is an awesome feature. Make the effort to customize it to your liking. This will greatly reduce any menu diving. Also don't forget that you also have the rear-screen programmable soft Func buttons that you can customize, too.
The GX7 is what finally convinced me to sell my Nikon gear and go all in on micro four thirds. I've had 3 newer m43 bodies since my GX7 but I still use it. It's a great camera and I particularly enjoy it for street photography.

User ID

Mu-43 Regular
The OIS in the 12-32 is actually better than the
IBIS in the GX7 and the GX7 does NOT do dual
IS. So, enable the OIS.

Acoarst the little 12-32 has no manual focusing
ring so I've found I MUST use BBAF to maintain
focus on my chosen subject or detail.

Other than those 2 specifics, it's a rather typical
mid-level camera. Not loaded with trick features
but offering full essentials. It's semi-pocketable
with the 12-32, which makes it one of my faves
out of my admittedly overgrown flock. AAMOF
I have two these :) Your son is a lucky guy !

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think I have gotten fairly comfortable with the camera and have now given it over to my son. The little guy is getting used to taking pictures. Mostly blurry ones so far, but he is getting better.

A SOOC sunrise shot from a photowalk we took together last week.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom