1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX-7 EVF

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Delb0y, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Delb0y

Delb0y Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2014
    Had a few minutes with the GX-7 in Jessops this morning. The camera looks and feels really nice but the EVF seemed tiny to me. Even smaller than my G3 - although it was sharper and brighter. I tried an OMD-EM10 and that EVF was far better. But the Fuji X-Pro was better than both.

Very early days in the search for a new camera (to be honest, it's pure GAS. Nothing at all wrong or limiting about my current kit) - but the EVF is important as I use it all the time. I've heard there's an eyepiece cap that can be added to the GX-7 - does this have the effect of enlarging the display?

Cheers
    Derek

2. shermanshen

shermanshen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2014
    I felt the same as you regarding the gx7 evf. I still bought it based on the overall package, but always found the evf to be less comfortable to use when compared to a friends' em5. The eyecup does make a huge difference and I would say that it puts it on par (in terms of comfort and perceived size) with the em5. Get it off of ebay instead of the panasonic site though as it is constantly on backorder.

3. Mohun

Mohun Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
    The GX7 Eye Cup

Well, I'm pretty much principally a Nikon DSLR user wih a D610 and a handful of decent Nikkor lenses, but I've used three Panasonic M43 bodies (the GF1, GX1 and GX7) over about three years solely for foreign travel. I'm simply getting too long in the tooth to hump my DSLR and even a couple of lenses on long trips where I've not even usually got the benefit of my car for some of the load. However, my extensive traveling days are over and, while the M43 gear is likely to be stowed away in favor of my Nikon except for special and likely rare occasions where weight and bulk are an issue, I do have what might be an odd but pretty relevant issue (and implied question) here. Shortly before a very recent trip to France and Ireland, I puchased from B&H the rubber eye cup for my GX7, but--and this fully confirms my status as a genuinely amateur photographer--I never could figure out how to attach the eye cup to the GX7's EVF. The EVF worked well enough for me without the cup but I'd be curious to give it a go before I stash the GX7 away. It also seems that I have just enough GAS in my tank to be attracted by the 14-140 Lumix OIS II on which to trade in my 14-45 Lumix, completing my modest and complete two-lens kit with the 15mm Summilux on which I traded in my 20mm f/1.7 earlier this year, and I'm a bit tempted to go to the zoo a couple of times with my grandsons, not to test the lens, of course, you understand.

4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    No. It's simply what it claims to be, a rubber eye cup. It is quite a bit larger than the cup on the camera and for a glasses wearer like me it makes a big difference by blocking ambient light. Before I installed mine, it was quite common for me to have to use my left hand to shade my eye rather than using it to hold the camera. Now I have to do this much less often, mostly when I am shooting almost into the sun. It's the eye cup that Panasonic should have installed on the camera from the beginning.
    If the cup is the Panasonic OEM one (DMW-EC1) it just installs (stretch and snap) over the top of the existing cup. Mine came with a little retention cord that I guess would attach around the EVF body but I see no reason to use it. Re the 14-140mm I have the old version and it is a great lens, especially for travel. You will not regret buying it. If your tank still has GAS after that, buy the 9-18mm, Another gem. Those two are my two-lens set.

Re EVFs in general, for myself I am not at all fussy. I need to be able to see the camera settings and to compose the photo but beyond that I don't care. Mine could be B&W and it would still meet my needs. I use the LCD to check after the shot for focus and camera movement. Everything else, including further evaluation, is done in post using the RAW file..

• Like Like x 1
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I just got my GX7, and feel the same way. I'm underwhelmed by the EVF. I read about "rainbow tearing" but don't see that. What I do struggle with, though, is an EVF that I can't quite get to feel it's in focus. I take a picture, review it in the EVF zoomed in, set the diopter to optimal sharpness, then go back to regular view to shoot, and it feels that the EVF is out of focus. That and a highly fussy diopter.

Everything else about the camera rocks. Just not the EVF :(

• Like Like x 1
  6. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    The EVF on the GX7 is nearly perfect for me. It is the only EVF that I can view in its entirety while wearing my glasses. I have tried them all.

• Like Like x 2
  7. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

• Like Like x 1
  8. mark111

mark111 Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 7, 2014
    The issue I found with the GX7 EVF more than anything is it's protrusion from the body. I still own a GX1 with 20mm and find that this fits into my pocket but with the GX7 that's simply not possible. I understand it tilts but really I think compactness is more important as I don't like to carry a camera bag wherever I go otherwise I'd just use my DSLR. To check if my eyes weren't deceiving me I checked on camera size comparison website that it's around 40% deeper than the GX7 !!! which really let's the camera down for me in terms of compactness, however as the GX7 UK prices are dropping I still might pick one up none the less come Christmas time.

Gx1 +20mm Vs GX7 +20mm

http://j.mp/1qcDHkf

9. pmpup4p3

pmpup4p3 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2014
    Hi.
    Well, just to rebalance things a bit here...
    I have not tested many other EVF's, just the A6000, but for me the EVF in the GX7 is excellent, at least as good as that one in my eyes.
    I allways use the EVF instead of the LCD (only use the LCD for settings and review), I never saw the rainbow effect and I can focus manually using the focus peak, which I do with a Minolta lens with adapter.
    It was one of my main doughts when purchasing the GX7, because I saw so many negative feedback on that EVF, and what do you know, when I received I thought it was great, still do, really love it...
    It is to me one of the mysteries of the internet, I guess people that don't like something are more likely to spread the negative word, than those that like it, or find it normal.
    Something similar happens with the Panasonic 20mm, where you can read many negative comments because of the AF speed, but at the same time, there is one or two people that rarely say something, that finds it perfectly good for photographing even kids moving about. Disclaimer: I don't have, or tried, the lens yet, planning to get it for christmas...

Please note that I am not trying to diminish other people opinions, I only want to make you think about your needs and that those needs might not be the same for other people..
    Just my 2 cents...
    Pedro.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Hi

Speaking as someone who has used cameras with EVF for some time now, although they have all be on FUJI Cameras I cannot fault the EVF's on my G5, G6 & GX7 and find them far more useful than the back screen which I cannot see without having to dig out my reading glasses or see in bright sunlight. for me back screens for anything other than menus are quite pointless and often only contribute to poor quality photography, how many times have you seen someone holding one at arms length with the lens zoomed out to the long end, no wonder IS has taken off so well. Hold your camera as it was supposed be held, up to the eye and braced with both hands and your success rate will go up exponentially.

And remember, its an electronic viewfinder not an optical one like on full blown SLR's stop comparing it to one and you will be much happier with what you have.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Delb0y

Delb0y Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2014
    I went back last weekend and had another look - I really like everything else about the GX-7, and with the prices still tumbling, and with my having a couple of good lenses already, this camera makes more sense than any others if/when I come to upgrade.

It's the actual size of the EVF - not so much the physcial size up against the eye, but what I'm seeing - that felt small to me. It was very sharp and the colours were good and I had no problem with seeing anything...it just felt small. Like looking at a really good television that was a long way away. When I looked through the Fuji X-Pro viewfinder it wasn't any sharper or clearer, but it was just as if someone had moved that TV closer.

I don't think it's a show stopper - it got a lot better when I turned all the extra bits of information off. We shall see. It'll be a while yet.

And by the way, over on another blog where someone was saying they didn't like the 1.7 20mm I was sticking up for it. I love that lens!

Cheers
    Derek

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I was impressed with the GX7 EVF in the shop and I was ready to dislike it : based on the advertising hype and bare-faced lies about it when it first came out.
    The colours and detail are rich, I'd put it between the G1/G3/VF-2 types and the larger VF-4 in useability for actually focusing manual lenses
    however please understand it is your own eyes which should decide : some EVF just do not suit some folk's eyes, hence all the discussions.
    As for X-Pro1 I don't know but can honestly say this here Fuji X-E1 EVF (which I suspect is similar to the EVF part of the X-Pro1 hybrid viewfinder) is hands down much worse than the original G1 EVF for manual focus. Colourful but smudged and makes focus peaking a necessity.

• Like Like x 1
  13. seadragon

seadragon Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2013
    I currently own a GX7 and GH4. I previously had a GH3. Here's my opinion on the EVFs...

GX7 EVF - very good - It's a bit small image wise, but is easy to see. I do see the color tearing effect occasionally, but only if I move my eye quickly from one side to the other (looking at menus for example). The EVF is quite usable and I don't have the extra eye cup yet for it. I've read it makes a difference and would like to try one out at some point. The tilting feature is actually very handy and I use it a lot. Really good for when sunlight is creeping in as you can just tilt the EVF and prevent it.

GH3 EVF - Terrible - It was the ONE thing I hated about my GH3 and I loved the camera otherwise. Really bad optics in front of the 16:9 aspect ratio screen (should have been 4:3 IMO). Never could see corner to corner and always had issues with smearing. No amount of diopter adjustment made a difference. Color rendition was not accurate either (color purple showed as blue) and no amount of adjusting would fix it. Some people have no issues with the GH3 EVF and I can respect that. But that was not my experience.

GH4 EVF - Excellent - Looking through the viewfinder of the GH4 for the first time was like a breath of fresh air. I believe Panasonic knew the GH3 EVF wasn't great and they redesigned in for the GH4. Great size image with a 4:3 aspect ratio and corner to corner viewing with no smearing. Color rendition is accurate and is a nice high resolution. Much improved over the GH3. Truth be told, this one of the main reasons I switched to the GH4 and got rid of the GH3.

• Like Like x 4
  14. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

I feel exactly the same way you do about the EVF. No matter how I adjust the diopter the picture just doesn't look quite sharp and in focus. Fortunately, the lcd is very good and I try to use that as much as possible. I see perfectly with the VF2 on my Olympus E-PL5, so I know it's not my eyes. Much more comfortable viewing experience. By the way, I'm a left-eyed shooter and bought the additional rubber cup as recommended by other users. It doesn't help all that much - but perhaps keeps my nose off the lcd SOME of the time. A slight tilt of the viewfinder helps. Other than my disappointment with the viewfinder and some card error messages, I'm in love with the GX7. The low light focus is phenomenal and white balance way improved ver that from the GH2. Out of camera jpgs are terrific. Adore silent shutter and wi-fi transfer to my phone or Ipad.

• Like Like x 1
  15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I absolutely agree on WB and low light focus. Especially WB, though. I would also add exposure. With my Oly's, I was always fiddling with EV. Same with my NEX 6 (which lives at +2/3 EV). WIth the GX7, I found exposure is exactly where I want it, and WB is one of the best I've used. The GX7 has helped me achieve my jpg-only shooting goal (that, and I haven't upgraded to LR5, lol)

16. isabel95

About achieving your jpg only goal - for some functions in the GX7 I believe you have to have the camera set for jpg only and sometimes I forget to set it back to my usual jpg plus raw. I haven't had a jpg yet that I couldn't fix...in fact I've had very few images I've had to fix! I just watch my histogram to nail the exposures the way I want them. The jpgs really are terrific. (I use Adobe Camera Raw in Photoshop to edit BOTH my jpgs and raw images. I've had PS back since version 5 and at that time was taking a community college course that enabled me to buy it at Academic Price. I can't imagine being without it, but with today's constant pricing online scheme I don't know if I would have signed up for it, never having had it before.)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Delb0y

Delb0y Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2014
    I tried the GX-7 again - for the third time in as many Saturdays. And this time the EVF experience was absolutely fine. I would have actually sworn that it was a different model camera. The experience was so different that I wonder if a menu setting can alter the look of the EVF? The first two occasions I tried the same actual camera. This morning I tried a different one in a different shop. In fact I now have GAS so bad!! It was an all-black GX-7. It felt so wonderfully solid in my hand and made my old G3 look and feel so old and creaky.

Need to start saving my pennies and hope for a bit more of a price drop!

18. isabel95

I hope you or someone else can suggest a way of changing the view in the viewfinder that will make it easier to see! Glad you mentioned this.

19. isabel95

Found the way to change lvf style

On page 5 of the custom wrench menu. "Monitor Style" looks better to me. Hard to tell if the image is slightly larger, but it just looks better.

• Like Like x 2
  20. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    It is possible that the first camera you tried was a dud, but also it's possibly one or a combination of other factors. . .
    - The EVF looks much smaller on a 4:3 ratio than on 3:2
    - The difference between lighting in the two locations (lower light situations can cause some motion blur with smaller apertures I find)
    - The style of lighting (some kinds of fluorescent light can cause a bit of a flicker on the EVF)
    - The Diopter setting

I think these things can add up to a significant difference when a user is getting his very first, highly critical opinion of an EVF.

• Like Like x 1