GX-7 broken. Anyone else had this problem?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Drdave944, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    My Panasonic GX-7 was doing fine and I took a few shots today and when I tried to remove the SC card,an Optima 4 GB card it was hard to remove. The little movable tab on the side was broken off. When I tried to put in another card it would only go in about a third of the way in. As you can see in the picture there is a tab sticking out of the inside wall of the card holder. I have no idea why this tab is present .It looks wrinkled but that is the reflection off the wall of the card holder. I have no idea why this happened as the camera was not dropped and the card clicked in without incident. I did have a GF-5 which had a similar problem and they replaced the camera. I can't see any tab in the replacement camera. Does anyone have any idea what is going on.

camera_problam. Taken with EM-1 with 60 mm 2.8 macro

• Like Like x 1
  2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    That's very unfortunate! It does look like the tensioner that holds the card in place has been damaged somehow.
    GX1•17/2.8•30/2.8

• Like Like x 2
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    The other listed case of this happening was with an optima card as well. Think it has to do with the quality(or lack thereof) of your memory card. May be a design flaw that break the camera( both Panasonic cameras as well). I have a GX7 and a GX1, and had a GF1 in the past and have always used sandisk cards without ever having an issue. Maybe I'm lucky, but I do really think it's the cards fault and not the camera. Just my opinion, please don't be insulted. Not my intent.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    Send it in to Panasonic. Even if no longer under warranty the camera is worth fixing. In the cover letter mention that you have heard this is a known issue with Panasonic cameras and they may take care of it at no charge. You just have to see what they do.

If still under warranty they should take care of it anyway.

And I second the suggestion of only using SanDisk media, but also be careful where you purchase from. SanDisk is the most counterfeited media card on the market and if ordering from ebay you are almost certain to receive counterfeit cards.

I order mine strictly from B&H.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Drdave944

Feb 2, 2012
    i will certainly be more careful about my cards. I don't want to be unfair to other card manufacturers but I can't take any chances. I do always use B&H Adorama or Amazon. Do you trust Amazon? I have had good service with them always.
    I can't believe I am the only one with this problem. I read one guy on the internet who had ti stick a " jimmy" device in his Panasonic to get the card out.

7. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    scott
    I have had this issue , but in my laptop..took some real effort to remove sd card....i try not to remove card or repeatadly insert into computer as this obviously stress's card ...i usually transfer job lots , as i dont like stick wires into camera either to transfer images...I must be heavy handed!

8. Drdave944

Feb 2, 2012
    I am surprised that I have had it happen twice but no one else had the problem. Maybe if I asked what lenses would you carry to Mars I would get more feedback.

9. AcinonyxRex

AcinonyxRex Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 17, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Steve
    Apologies if this comes off as a bit of a remedial question, but exactly how are you removing the SD card? The reason I ask is that I had a friend whom this happened to as a result of her trying to pull the SD card from her point and shoot camera versus actually ejecting it by pushing on it and letting the spring mechanism push the card out.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Drdave944

Feb 2, 2012
    No I did try to remove it the correct way but did have to pull it out,as it would not otherwise come out.,Thanks

11. seadragon

seadragon Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2013
    Apparently, this is not an uncommon problem with Panasonic bodies. If you Google "panasonic stuck sd card", you'll see many hits on this issue. It has something to do with the locking tab on the card and how the card slot eject mechanism relies on it being there and intact. If anything is wrong with the locking tab on the card, it can jam the mechanism.

It's hard to tell, but it looks like your card slot is in its "card inserted" mode even though a card is not present thus preventing another card from being inserted. Perhaps there is a way of resetting it so it's back in the "card ejected" state. This is just a guess on my part though. Hope you can get it fixed quickly and be back in business.

12. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    It's not a matter of being "unfair" to other manufacturers, they can adopt more stringent QC any time they want. But you need to be fair to yourself.

Well, I used to, but in recent years Amazon has started "dancing with the devil" and a few people began reporting having trouble with media cards (SanDisk especially) ordered from Amazon vendors. I saw two reports of individuals sending their improperly performing cards back to SanDisk and receiving a reply "Not our product".

I recently ordered a kit of 2 batteries and a charger for my GX7 from an amazon vendor. The charger was for some other battery and useless with the batteries for the GX7. The vendor refused to replace the charger, said I could send the whole kit back for a refund. I was in a bind and needed the batteries (they were Power2000 and seem fine) so I chose to "trashcan" the useless charger.

Amazon did give me a $10 credit.

I saw one or two reports of media cards "stuck" in GH2's and about 3 reports of the same problem in GH3's. I used to have 3 GH2's, a GX1, and now have 2 GH3's, a GH4, GX7, and an Olympus OMD E-M5. I use nothing but SanDisk media in them, and am never in a hurry changing media cards. I slow down and do it very gently and so far have never had a problem.

But I would send the camera in to Panasonic and be prepared to "pay" the bill if there is one. As I said previously, the camera is worth it.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Drdave944

Feb 2, 2012
    I have been using every kind of mongrel SC card but need to be more careful. I have had the little tabs around the contacts bend over the contacts on one card giving an error code. The cards seem to be constructed in a very flimsy manner. I have sometimes had to file the "write protection" tab off so I could use the cards. I wish these tab were not present as they are nothing but trouble as they tend to switch to the locked position on some cards when you put them in. In fact the switch was broken off of my SC card when I extracted it and may have been the primary problem.

Soon they will go to micro cards and compound the problems.I never had problems with the CF cards.

14. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Consider yourself lucky. It used to be fairly easy to bend the connection pins in those. I think too many professionals had problems like that - prompting the industry to move to SD cards even though the CF cards were faster at the time.

15. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    Here's the way I look at the card quality issue. I tend to be an "early adopter" so I pay the initial release prices on some cameras. My two GH3 bodies ran me $1298 each, my GH4 was $1697. So when it comes to the media cards I'm going to use in them does it make sense to "cheapskate out" on "bargain brand" cards that have a very good chance of letting me down?

I'm a retired professional still photographer so I don't take on any paid assignments, I do still and motion picture strictly for my own personal satisfaction and to "show off" some. So if I have my camera pointed at that once in a lifetime moment I want to have the best dependable well made media card in my over a grand camera.

For me that's SanDisk...ONLY...

...Athough I hear Hoodman RAW is on a par or possibly a bit "stouter" media card.

But I've never been let down by SanDisk, I do "baby" them (I "baby" my cameras and lenses too). I'm not a brand "snob", I just use what works.

The CF cards you had to be careful with, the weak part was the pins in the camera. Pro's on assignment would suddenly have to change media cards in a hurry and several managed to bend pins in the camera card slot by slamming the CF card in.

It was an expensive repair.

Never happened to me, I learned a long time ago not to get in a hurry changing film, media, lenses or anything on the camera. I remember hearing about a navy photographer in a helicopter who got in a hurry changing film in a Nikon F (you had to take the back clean off) and managed to put his thumb through a titanium foil shutter curtain.

16. Drdave944

Feb 2, 2012
    My wife accidentally put in some adapter upside down in an old Canon. It bent a pin but i repaired it with a pocket knife. Say what you will about Canon but they built tough equipment. Very few of us confine our photography to perfumed parlors.

17. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Additional Info

On another site I read that the pin in question is used to only allow the card to be inserted one way. If you accidentally insert the card backwards (as I've done many times) and apply too much pressure you can damage the mechanism. This prevents it from releasing the card. I experienced this problem on an older SD MP3 player. I think it's a problem that any device using SD cards can experience.

18. Drdave944

Feb 2, 2012
    Yes , I have a 50/50 chance of putting in the card backwards as there is no intuitive way of remembering. The card is wedged shaped on one side which pushes a pin outward and admits it ,when you put it in right. The pin that popped out of my card holder came from the inside wall, not the side of the card holder. The card went in without difficulty.I just wouldn't come out.

19. poopstick

poopstick Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2013
    Burlington Ontario
    The label faces the battery in all of the Panasonics I've used.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Drdave944

Feb 2, 2012
    Good information!.Same for Oly epl-5. "Brass faces back " in Em-5 and EM-1 even though it has separate door.. Same for Canon Gx-1. However ,Canon EOS just the opposite,as is Oly Stylus SH-50.