GX-1 vs. EPL5

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by caimi, Jun 11, 2013.

1. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    I have seen some brilliant photos taken with the Panasonic GX1. I owned the Olympus EPL5 for awhile and was very happy with the images it produces but not with the ergonimics.

So, has anyone owned or shot with both cameras ? How do they compare? Gun to your head, if you had to choose one of these two cameras as a travel camera, which would you go with and why?

Thank you.
  2. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I had a GX1 and sold it due to the AWB under tungsten light, yellowish cast is not my taste, now I got an EPM2 pair with 17mm f2.8, very nice in smaller package, love the jpeg color, f2.8 is not that fast, but EPM2 has OMD's sensor capability, so I'm very happy carry it with me everyday.

EPL5/EPM2 are better sensor, GX1 are better body.

DXO sensor rating
  3. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I shoot RAW so I don't care about the WB -- though I've not had any problems when I did shoot it in jpg so maybe I didn't hit the right light to fool it.. However, the E-PL5 has better dynamic range, though if you shoot ultrawide be prepared for purple blob flare, lol.

I did not like the E-PL5's ergonomics when I had one with my E-M5. I traded the E-PL5 for a G5 and ended up liking THAT better than my E-M5.

In fact, I now am all Panasonic bodies and a GX1 is one of them and I personally love it. $200 for a GX1 body vs. 2x (and more) for an E-PL5? Not really a fair comparison but the GX1 can make great photos.

In technical terms, sensor considered only, the E-PL5 is the better camera and arguably much better for a street shooter with it's tilting display which allows shooting if "from the hip" looking down on the screen and using the touchscreen to fire the camera. That works brilliantly on the E-PL5 but I didn't care enough about that feature.

The E-PL5 is nowhere near as comfortable in the hand if you shoot for long periods IMO. Also the E-PL5's mode dial is very "soft" and gets moved easily if you're not careful.

Still, if you like the E-PL5 better and are willing to pay for it, it's an EXCELLENT camera and I wouldn't hesitate. You can get great photos out of the GX1, but you have to expose more carefully in certain light because it's got less dynamic range. But if someone offered to trade me an E-PL5 for my GX1, I'd keep the GX1 but I am a "contrarian" -- or at least I know what I like, lol.

Decisions decisions!!!