1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GX-1 or the Panny 25mm?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jharris, Apr 22, 2013.

1. jharris

jharris New to Mu-43

Jun 24, 2012
    Boston, MA
    I currently have a GF-1 with a few lenses: 14mm, 14-45mm, 100-300mm, and the 45-200mm (all panny).

With the current deal on the GX-1 ($249) I'm really tempted to pick it up and see if I can sell the GF-1. The dilemma is that my wife and I are having our first kid later this year, so I've been toying with the idea of getting a fast lens to catch those first moments.

If you had to choose, would you get the GX-1 or the Panny 25mm lens?

2. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Well sell the 45-200mm and GF1 and get GX1+ 25mm, since you got telephoto range covered, 45-200mm seems a bit redundant

3. jharris

jharris New to Mu-43

Jun 24, 2012
    Boston, MA
    Valid point. I picked up the 45-200 about a year before the 100-300 (bought it for shooting safari), but I never got around to selling it. Looks like I'll be making a FS thread soon :)

4. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    JohnRae
    If you had to choose one or the other, I would suggest the PL25. It really is that good of a lens. But as already suggested, selling the 45-200 and GF1 to fund the lens and camera seems a bit more ideal

5. yourguitarhero

yourguitarhero Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Hmm, I'm in a similar position.
    Currently have a GF-1, Samyang Fisheye, 20mm and a 14-45mm I share with my wife.
    I have been swithering over getting a GX-1 body or a new lens - maybe the 45mm.

I'm still on the fence because I do some shots of bands and stuff so the extra ISO of the GX-1 would be handy, but so would a longer & faster lens.

Personally I've decided I'm going to go with the new lens and keep the GF-1 body. It takes great pics, plus my wife has a G3 I can borrow if necessary.

I'm gonna skip the GX-1 body upgrade and go for an OM-D when they come down in price, I think that would be a major as opposed to incremental upgrade (viewfinder, stabilisation, better sensor)

6. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    The 25mm is the best 'investment' if you can afford it.

- It will give great results on your GF1 or any M43 Camera you buy in the future.
    - The 25mm will likely hold a good resale value in a few years, dates bodies tend not to.
    - I believe the 25mm on your GF1 will give more fun and 'wow' than your current lenses on a GX1
    - It gives you awesome low light abilities that your current lens line-up does not.

I would sell the 45-200 and get the 25mm.

But note that the GX1 will give you faster focusing, that can be good for kids.

7. jmax

jmax Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    Totally agree with BLT. Adding the fact that babies should be quiet the first year of their lives.

Thereafter is another movie, and you will need the faster lens you can get, and the PL25 1.4 is a good choice.

Maybe in two years the OMD will cost the same the GX1 today, and the increasing in performance is higher than the GX1. I own the GF1 too with the P20 1.7 and PL45 2.8, with a 2 years old daughter :biggrin: and have this idea in mind.

Congratulations to the future parents. (sleep all you can now)

cheers

8. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I would choose the 25/1.4 over the GX1 for sure, but I also agree about selling the GF1 + 45-200 and getting a new body and the 25/1.4. I'd consider the G5 though. I think the articulated screen comes in super handy with babies and little kids.

9. jharris

jharris New to Mu-43

Jun 24, 2012
    Boston, MA
    I definitely considered the G5 but the current price point on the GX1 even with adding the LVF2 still comes in under the cost of the G5. I also liked the modularity of my GF1 with the LVF1. My main reason for going m43 was the form factor and I really liked the pocketability of the GF1.

I went ahead and ordered the GX1, and will list the GF1/LVF1 and the 45-200 soon. I've got some time to save pennies for the 25mm, but that will definitely be my next purchase.

Thank you all for the well wishes and advice.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Lens...

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Whoops - Guess I was too late! :redface:
    Anyways, "Congratulations" though! :cool: