1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GX-1 Issue/Problem

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by BAXTING, Sep 12, 2012.

1. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Im new to the M 4/3 world and not sure what happened to my camera, but something is wrong.

I took it out of the case today to shoot some images for work and noticed brown bars slowly moving up on the viewfinder.

When I AF the bars go into one single bar and then back again.

I noticed this with my 20 1.7 lens on and tried it with my 14-45 and it was still there just not as much.

I have not dropped the camera and keep it in a padded case inside of another bag.

I cleaned the lenses and the lens and camera body contacts, but no change.

I change the battery, SD card, and reset all my settings and still the same.

I used the camera yesterday afternoon and it was fine, today not so good.

Not sure if I screwed it up somehow or if the sensor is to blame.

Any ideas?

2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Is this only in the viewfinder? If you remove the viewfinder and use the LCD does it still show the same problem? If it doesn't show up in the LCD then it's not likely to be a sensor issue. Have you tried reseating the viewfinder also?

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Were you wearing any kind of sunglasses?

4. BAXTING

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Im sorry, I was pretty upset when I wrote that and I wrote it wrong.

I dont have a viewfinder, its showing up on the LCD screen.

Just turned it on again. The lines aren't as dark as before, but they are still there.

They are at their worst when under fluorescent lights with a white BG/white wall.

IMG_8219 by BAXTING, on Flickr

Is it just the lighting in the room? Seems odd.

No sunglasses :)

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    This could be the flickering of the fluorescent light and the LCD. They are likely refreshing at similar rates. If you are not seeing ANY hint of it under incandescent or outdoor lighting, then your issue could be this.

fluorescent light can also play havoc with your camera if your shutter speeds are faster than the light refresh rate.

A Google page for more info https://www.google.com/search?q=how..._pw.r_qf.&fp=69259e6e7da2331&biw=1222&bih=670

• Like Like x 2
  6. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Hrm, doesn't look right to me, and I don't see that on my GX1 under any lighting conditions.

If it's on multiple lenses then I'd be inclined to get in touch with Panasonic - sorry man :(

7. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I've not seen any weird refresh issues like that with my GX1 and fluorescent lights, but that's possible I guess.

I'd definitely agree though... I'd be inclined to believe that only if there's no hint of it under other lighting conditions.

8. BAXTING

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    I just walked out of the office to snap a couple shots outside.

No problems whatsoever.

I tried it in a couple other offices here.

Most are ok but one had slight bars.

Funny, in the office where Im using it is where it shows up the worst.

I do feel a little better now. I always use my DSLR for office work and figured I'd give the gx-1 a shot and stumbled upon this issue. Its never been an issue before with the DSLR.

I will definitely do some more research/digging and thanks for posting up the link WT21!

9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Different fluorescent lights can have different refresh rates, whereas the camera LCD only has one, so it may be worse under some fluorescent than others. If you are seeing it in outdoor or incandescent light, then it's a different issue. I'm not sure about the new LED lights. I'm assuming they DON'T flicker, but I don't know.

Hope it works out OK for you!

10. BAXTING

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    • Like Like x 1
  11. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Cool, hope that's all it is for you then!

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Good article. I thought lights had different flicker rates. The article seems to indicate that's not so. Thanks for posting!

13. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I find this happens to me under certain florescent lighting as well. I find it is really bad with lighting with older bulbs and ballasts. If you go to the mall and have an iPhone turn on the camera a point it at the lighting in different stores, you'll see it everywhere.

typed on my phone, sorry.

14. chicaboo

chicaboo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2012
    Logan, QLD, Australia
    Gav
    I wonder if this why the flash exposure on my GX1 is all over the place with my fluoro lights at home? That's what I get for going green!

15. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    Fluorescent lights coupled with white things (walls, tables, etc) are to blame. Happened to me once, and it was SEVERE.

16. chicaboo

chicaboo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2012
    Logan, QLD, Australia
    Gav
    I don't recall this ever being an issue on my E-PL1, I wonder if Panasonic's sensor uses a particular frequency that is more sensitive to fluoro flicker? I've noticed that fluoro lights pulse on the GX1 LCD, too.

17. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    I've observed that they only happen on certain fluorescent lights... Not sure about the difference among them, but they happen to tubes more often than on those spiral types.

18. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

A few questions

1. What type of lighting are you using in the room where this occurs?s it florescent tubes, CFL ??

2. Do the bars show up on the actual photo also?

3. How about outdoors, or in a room that uses a different type of lighting?

4. Where are you located? In NA, the line frequency is 60 hz, while in Europe it's 50 hz.

5. Regarding your camera, was it purchased in the country you live in, or was it purchased from, abroad?

I think I can explain what's happening once I know the answers to these questions.

19. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
  20. BAXTING

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Thanks! :smile: