1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX-1 is a "Pro Camera"

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by gfspencer, Oct 4, 2012.

1. gfspencer

gfspencer Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2011
    North Carolina
    Last night I went to a concert with my wife, son and daughter-in-law. I took my GX-1 to get some pictures of everyone before the concert started. The folks who check that kind of thing wouldn't let me bring my camera into the show because it had a detachable lens and detachable lens = a pro camera. :confused: What a crock.

Next time I'll put the camera in one pocket and the lens in the other. :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Aha - you've met knowledgeable folks! Unless they saw you changing the lens?

My PENs with the P20 attached never got "noticed" during events where "pro" cameras are not allowed - they're really as small as some P&S, and even smaller than some P&S.

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Haha, I get the same thing at one of my local venues (First Ave here in Minneapolis). They didn't notice when I went in with a 20/1.7 on my OM-D, but they stopped me once when I had the 25/1.4 mounted.

I guess if you bring in a Sony RX1, you will be good to go! :2thumbs:

4. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    What lens was on it?

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    And on the other hand, "we" get mad when MFT cameras are not taken seriously.. ....

You should be happy you couldn't bring it in - now you're getting the respect that many have screamed for...:wink:

6. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Wow, that's too bad. Sorry to hear that. Did they make you coat check it or take it back to the car or something like that? What lens did you have attached to it?
    I would guess a place that searches bags would put the 2 and 2 together and realize you have a lens and a camera with you. That actually happened to me in a place that allows cameras. The security guy looking thru my bag just looked at the lens and asked me what it was.
    I recently went to a concert with that had "no cameras/no recording" printed on the tickets. When I asked the venue, I was told a small digital camera would be ok. I put the 14mm on the GX1 one time and 20mm another time.

It seems a lot depends on the venue security team and how zealous they want to be about it. I've heard of people being asked not to use cameras during the concert as well after they were already in and were seen using them.

7. gfspencer

gfspencer Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2011
    North Carolina
    They told me I could check it but I carried it back to the car. I didn't trust the bozos who were doing the checking.

I had the pancake zoom on the camera. The 20mm pancake was in my pocket.

8. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    As mirrorless continues to grow in popularity, I would expect this will happen more and more...