1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GX-1 addict

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by nianys, Jul 28, 2012.

1. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

Being a former DSLR user (who had to many bodies to care to admit, including FF and pro gear), I got the GX-1 as my first m4/3 in mid February, and have had a love story with it ever since. 13K shots later I just ordered a G3 to carry as a second body (chosen over another GX-1 for the built-in EVF, it was more cost effective than buying the LVF2 over again, and I need one to focus the sexy manual lenses I've just ordered).

b9a1f71138508508b826a81e2431fbe5_e06.
    368d192b6b550a5d1f0192614a870719_ab9.
    de9229dc746ae19f1f9b82b79e7f2372_653.
    5f3ecd202e989d975dff7f1d7bca3b35_2b8.

For someone so new to this technology, I'm totally sold (not that I'm not keeping and loving a DSLR, but it's getting very limited use). I did try two Oly bodies upon loving the GX-1 so much, but I didn't get along with either the User Interface of even the IQ, so they went back.
    If anyone is unsure about the GX-1 or wanting tips about it, feel free to ask, I'll glady answer.

• Like Like x 23
  2. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    Great shots. I started off with Oly legacy 4/3rds a while back, then sold it and switched to Canon when I started doing work professionally. A couple months ago, I decided to give m43 a try for my "everywhere with me, point-n-shoot." Got the Oly E-PM1 for its tiny size. I'm also sold, and I've taken more photos with it than my DSLRs ever since I got it. It doesn't give me the best image quality compared to my Canon + L-lenses, but it's close enough and it's the funnest camera for me to use all the time.

Seriously considered the GX1...still am, actually, along with the G3.
    What lenses were you using for your above shots?

3. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Classic!

4. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Really nice images nianys.

I'm a GX1 addict as well. In fact, I like it so much I dressed it up.
    7611734110_016b8d724a_b.

• Like Like x 1
  5. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Wonderful pics!
    You are making me reconsider my next body purchase.
    Those gulls look 3D!

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)

Lovely :2thumbs:. I'm late to he GX1 party, but I love mine too. The Pana 14 has become a favorite lens of mine, and it's a perfect match for the GX1.

• Like Like x 1
  7. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

My absolute (and only truly loved) m4/3 lens is the Summilux (PanaLeica) 25/1.4. This lens is JUST amazing. The gulls shot was taken with the surprisingly good 14-15, the Mastiff belongs to equally excellent Oly 40-150. I just ordered a Canon FD 135/2.5 and just can't wait to try it !
    Like you I had the E-PM1, but it couldn't compare to the Panny, neither could the E-PL2 I also tried. After that I decided I was probably a Panasonic customer for the few next models to come. Though I do like this E-PL2 shot (which had to be pretty heavily PP'd since it was shot thru glass).

e08f0806c9b22fc8a732f9852a6855d8_cf7.

• Like Like x 2
  8. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

Considering the gear list in your signature, I'd say you're already better than well equipped ! I too would love to try the E-M5, but I'm not to comfortable with the Oly User Interface (a wild understatement), so I think I'll pass for the moment.

9. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

That's a SERIOUSLY sexy set-up !! Since you have both GX-1 and G3, how would you compare them ?

10. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I've been admiring the GX1 for a good while now. With five m4/3 bodies already (GF1, GH2, G3, E-PL3, E-M5) I've been able to resist the allure so far. But I don't know how long I can hold out. :rofl: My G3 is going to transform into a G5 soon, my LX5 will transform into an LX7 soon. And I think my beloved first m4/3 camera, my GF1, will probably transform into a GX1.

11. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    Thanks for the additional info! Actually, the PL25 is next on my lens list; I don't NEED it (got the Panny 20mm f/1.7 and Oly 45mm f/1.8), but I do love the image quality that seems to come from it. From what I understand, the GX1 is barely bigger than the E-PM1...correct? Size was the main reason why I added m43 to my gear.

Thanks again ;)

12. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

Lucky man :wink:
    I really doubt you'd be disappointed, the GX-1 amazes me daily.

13. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Thank you.

I think technically they compare just as expected. Same basic mechanics, upgraded slightly across the board with newer tech.

What I didn't expect is to like the form factor/feel/looks so much.

I do really like the articulated screen and the no-nonsense get the job done usefulness of the G3 but it's definitely my second camera.

14. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

GReat shots and welcome to MFT world. I moved to MFT three years and ago and have never looked backwards and now when I see big hefty DSLRs I always wonder how I was carrying them around . MFT covers majority of needs of majority of people and those who are in minority are intelligent and mature enough to know what suits them for their kind of work . Now Olympus was using and older sensor and Panasonic always cheats when it comes to sensor technology but having said that Olympus doest lag behind by a huge margin when it comes to IQ. Many of us like Oly for better OOC JPEGS but then again its personal preference and intact I am also thinking of picking up GX1. Technology changes very fastly and who thought mobile will almost replace P&S cameras till around 3-4 years ago.
    Anyway enjoy this wonderful forum and share some more pics. If u get time and then play with Olympus OMD and I am sure u will love it but GX1 is a wonderful little gem .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

15. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    Thanks for the recommendation. I have an Oly pl2, and was tempted by the gx1 when it was on sale at Amazon. But I have yet to be convinced that its image quality is an upgrade to the old 12MP sensor. I fear it's just another u4/3 sensor cut up into smaller pieces, which would mean bigger file sizes and greater susceptibility to noise. Any input from experienced Oly users who have made the switch would be appreciated.

16. Bhupinder2002

I am afraid to say if you have Panny 20 mm 1.7 then u won't anything major in terms of IQ . PL25 mm 1.4 excels in AF , lowlight and with nice BOKEH but do u we need Bokeh all the time?The biggest disadvantage is the size which seems cumbersome and I had PL25 1.4 for few months and Now I own 20 mm 1.7 again .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

17. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Frank... from all that I've seen, the output from the GX1 sensor is so close to that of the E-M5, that it's roughly the same ballpark... whatever differences there are, are negligible, for the most part. The sensor in the G3 and GX1 have awesome high-ISO performance, to the point that you won't be disappointed within the m4/3 fold.

bhupinder stated that Panasonic 'cheated' with their sensors.... fact is, Panasonic doesn't cheat anything. They produce some of the best sensors and use their own. Olympus doesn't produce sensors; they have been buying them from Panasonic for years and now buy them from both Panasonic and (for E-M5) Sony. Brand fanboyz prevail (que up some salt!), but truth is, neither Panasonic nor Olympus is superior to the other across the board. They each offer superb examples of mix and match, m4/3 format goodies.

I have no allegiance to either brand... I started my m4/3 adventure with Panasonic and I love how well they do things... VERY well. Then I added some Olympus bodies and lenses, which are nice and have some cool features. Now I'm sort of wafting back toward Panasonic bodies again and straddling both camps in terms of the bodies and lenses I use. The ebb and flow between the brands is great. The best m4/3 kits are made up of gear from both brands.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Bhupinder2002

Hahahaa I didn't explain in detail , I meant Panny didn't supply Oly their great GH2 16 mp sensor and Oly ended up getting 16 mp sensor from Sony instead . But yes I someone doesn't care about weather sealing and few other added features on OMD then GX1 makes perfect sense and its well built , looks beautiful and no major difference from OMD what I have seen so far.The best part of the story is you can pick up body for USD 435 which is still less than half of OMD's body only price . For rest of the money someone can pick up a beautiful prime like PL25 or wider Oly like 12 mm 2 and u have a wonderful system ready in about USD 1000 .
    CHeers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    great to have ya here! love the pics, as usual!

20. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

Hello Franck

actually, the other Oly body I got (but ended up not keeping either, just like the E-PM1) was an E-PL2. I found it to look good and be pretty well built, but had inferior performance to the GX-1 in every way I can think of. Let's put ergonomics and user interface aside, since they are personal preferences, but AF was nowhere as fast, and the bump in IQ of the newer 16MP chip of the Panny is undeniable (resolution/sharpness/DR/ISO).
    So I'm confident the upgrade factor between the two cams is very real and that, unless you're allergic to Panny's UI (like I unfortunately seem to be to Oly's) a GX-1 would serve you very well :smile: