GWC on Olympus body?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by thomastaesu, Jan 8, 2013.

1. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    Thomas
    I am thinking about getting P14mm and GWC1 for OM-D. The spec says the converter is compatible with G series cameras, not m43.

Will I have any problem with this set up?

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    No problems the converter is just a filter you put on the front of the P14.
    This will work on any lens and body regardless of the manufacturer.
    The G series is Panasonic :43: model family.

3. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I bought the GWC1 when it first came out and have enjoyed using it on the 14mm with my Olympus cameras. Good way to get under 12mm for not much money. Of course, it has its tradeoffs.

Back to compatibility, it is also designed to work with the newer Panasonic 14-42X lens, and the supplied 37mm ring ring also fits the Olympus 14-42 II. I finally got around to trying the GWC1 on the Oly 14-42 II. It's a bad combo. Horrible vignetting.

4. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    If you do not have the P14 and just want UWA lens, you might consider the Rokinon/Samyang 7.5 fish-eye lens.
    It will give you UWA in a similar price of to the combination of P14mm and GWC1.
    For 14mm range you can use the kit O14-42 kit that you probably got when you purchased the camera.

5. thomastaesu

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    Thomas
    Thanks. But someone told me you have to have a pancake lens to make your m43 set up complete. It was going to be my pancake/uw.

6. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    I'm curious about the GWC, too--in regards to whether there is any discernable loss in image quality when used with the 14mm/2.5 (which I have). Not too many reviews on it...

7. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    You will never make your kit complete.:rolleyes:
    If you need a pancake then the P14 is a good one but the P20 is better.
    The P14 is only one stop faster then your kit lens and the GWC1 is compromise in term of IQ.
    The advantages of the P14mm and GWC1 is that you get two lenses a 11mm and 14mm in a very small package and relatively cheap.
    In term of speed and IQ the 20mm is better and the Rokinon is superb. If you got the budget get the 20mm and the Rokinon.
    In any case you won't regret any combo you get they are both have their advantages and disadvantages.

• Like Like x 2
  8. thomastaesu

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    Thomas
    Well, i think 20mm will be too close to my PL25. I had to have f1.4 lens. So I was considering either 14 or 17, and ppl say 14 is sharper.

9. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Take a look here;
    Panasonic 14mm w/ & w/o GWC1 wide converter: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

H and B Digital Photography Blog & Review: Panasonic Lumix DMW-GWC1 Wide Angle Conversion Lens Review, Photos, Sample Images and Video Samples

Swan at Havens Beach – Panasonic Wide Converter DMW-GWC1 « John Todaro Imagecurrent

• Like Like x 2
  10. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    since you have the 25mm then you are covered in term of speed and quality. The 14mm would be a nice pancake. You will be amazed how small and lite it is.

11. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Be careful with GWC acronym instead of using the proper GWC1...GWC is actually a term in photography for Guy/Girl With Camera, someone who takes pictures of models (usually naked models) just for the sake of getting close to them rather than creating photographic art.

12. thomastaesu

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    Thomas
    You say as though that is a bad thing. ;-)