Guys with pentax glass... Question

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Mustangjoey, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Mustangjoey

Mustangjoey Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 22, 2011
    Hey guys, I have about or 6 lenses that I really like to mess around with on my pentax kx. And now that I just bought a G1 I'd like to play around with some of them on that body as well. So my question for you guys is which adapter are you guys using for your pentax k to micro 4/3? I see some one eBay around 30 bucks. And then I see the voigtlander for 150. Is that really necessary or would I be fine with one of the cheaper eBay ones? Thanks in advance.
  2. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
  3. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Generally chinese adapter are designed to be a bit smaller than the real one this is to ensure that the infinity is reached. In fact on most my pentax lenses i can focus beyond infinity. This is the drawback of a cheap chinese adapter. It doesn't really bother me, as long as it is very close to infinity and that i the get infinity i am not complaining :p. If you are happy with such a setup invest 30 quid if you need something that will give you spot on infinity think twice.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    I have a cheap $30 chinese one and have had no problem with my Pentax-A and Pentax-M lenses... Maybe I just got lucky?? My M mount adapter is a metabones one which was a bit more expensive, but is also fine..

Remember if you have Pentax DA lenses (with no aperture ring) you are only going to be able to use it wide open with these cheap adapters..
    • Like Like x 1
  5. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    I went w/Rainbow

The $30 Rainbow Imaging adaptor works just fine with my Rikenon 50/1.7 and Vivitar 28-105. Simple and effective - what more could I want?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I've got a Fotodiox. Functional but not lustworthy. It's got around 5 detents for aperture, but there's no way to know what the actual F-stop is. About a week after purchase one of the screws needed tightening. It's been better since then. Would I buy one again? Probably - they are so cheap it's hard to say no to. But if this one doesn't last a year I'm going with the Novoflex for the long term.

The Fotodiox extension tubes, on the other hand, are useless. Insides of tube are glossy, resulting in flare. I'll have to paint them eventually with a matte black.
  7. AceStar

AceStar Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    There is variance even between the cheap chinese adapters but it's difficult to know what you're getting. Some are one big chunk of aluminium painted black on most parts. There are no screws holding the silver colored plates on. Others are a chunk of aluminium but with screwed on chromed brass plates that actually make contact with the lens. The latter are supposedly better and you can unscrew them and adjust the depth if you want. There seems to be no difference in price.

In my experience just make sure there's no loose metal filings inside em, make sure they're a firm fit and not likely to rub or grind, and you'll be fine.

PS I have a M42 (Pentax screw) to MFT. But there's a PK (Pentax K) to MFT in the mail for me at this moment.
  8. Mustangjoey

Mustangjoey Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 22, 2011
    Thanks for the link. And for the opinions guys. I'm going to order a rainbow Imaging one for now and see how it works for me. It I don't like it then I'm out 25 bucks and I will save for an expensive one. Thanks for the advice guys.
  9. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have few from rainbow imaging; 1 kmount, 3 M42, and 2 M-mounts. No problems so far. The more expensive ones I have seen in person have "real" springs for tension (kmount and m-mount) rather than bent metal which need an occasional readjustment. No biggie. so far.

Interesting thing is that I ordered them at different times from them but ended up with adapters that seem to come from different manufacturers with slight design differences. oh well..