1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Guiding Light

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by antithetic, Nov 17, 2010.

1. antithetic

antithetic Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2010
    City of Angels
    I have been re-organizing my photos and along the way picking out a few for use as desktop wallpaper. Normally I bombard my close friends and family with these sorts of photos and show only the better ones online.

I thought it would be great to get some additional input and insight so as to try and improve. Here's one from a recent outing to the beach at Corona Del Mar:

PB145145.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Probably should have stepped down from f2.8 instead of waiting for the sun to set even further. Might have been able to drag out the shutter speed and still have enough light to illuminate the rocks.

Comments/criticism welcome.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Saelee

Saelee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2011
    I love the color of the sunset.

The only thing that I would change or for you to keep in mind is not to have the main subject too centered. I think it would be stronger if you moved the boat a little bit more to the left and put more skies instead of the black foreground.

But this image is still a keeper!

3. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Yes, it's nice as it is.
    But I would attempt to get two exposures, so you had some details of the rocks, and layer them together. We have the technology. If the light had got too low you could, if residing in the area, go back the next day and get the rocks in daylight (for you could software reduce exposure as much as needed).
    Alternatively if the exposure was higher, you might be able to brush reduce the exposure in the sky to get it as it is now and you would be left with higher exposed rocks.

4. I guess the OP was a while ago now but I would be doing a big crop of the bottom of the picture to a 16:9 or similar format to just get a sliver of black at the bottom of the picture. This way it doesn't dominate the lovely sunset colours. Ideally the boat would be positioned to the right of the picture to give it space to sail into but we are seldom provided with a technically perfect scene to photograph. Nice shot, though. The motion blur of the water looks great.

5. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    Nice colors. IMO, the placement of the boat is fine.

It might still work as-is for a desktop image. The program icons can all be grouped in the dark space :smile:.

--Warren

6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    quick crop... rule of thirds.. different story

PB1451451.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

K

7. antithetic

antithetic Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2010
    City of Angels
    I did crop it to 16x10 to eliminate the black rocks at the bottom for my wallpaper. But as Kevin showed, I shouldn't be afraid to crop more to get closer as it definitely invokes a different story.

Thanks Saelee and everyone for your comments! I really appreciate it. :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.