1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Guess what I just ordered

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by KVG, Nov 27, 2012.

1. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I just ordered a 5d mkii, who hates me now? Don't worry I learned my lesson with the fuji, I'm keeping my gx1 too:love:

• Like Like x 5
  2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Cool, congrats! What will you be working with for lenses?

Personally I'm all for experimenting with different systems and using whatever works for you. I really like your work, and I look forward to seeing what you do with the Canon and hearing your impressions after using it a while as I'm looking at a similar move.

I'm definitely sticking with m4/3 as my main system, but also seriously contemplating a full frame system alongside (trialing a fuji XE1 at the moment). It means trimming down my m4/3 gear to do it but I think the format variety will be fun to work with and hopefully inspiring in different ways.

• Like Like x 1
  3. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I got rid of the 25 and the 45, because I didn't really use them much ad they were not really pocketable for street and I'm keeping the 14 and 20. i will probably bet a 50/1.4 followed by a 85mm later and I have paying gigs upcoming and I'll just rent zooms.

• Like Like x 1
  4. If I was looking for a 50mm lens for a Canon 5D I think I'd go with the Sigma 50/1.4 ("Sigmalux") over the Canon equivalent.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Kelly..Dont tell me this please as I am also drooling over it The prices of Canon 5DMII has fallen a lot since last 6months. We can always get a body for USD 1500-1999 these days . Just out of curiosity - Why you didnt buy Canon 6D?
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 1
  6. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    I took the GH-2 with 20 and 45 on a trip. I also took a Canon 5D MK-ll. I found the GH-2 very desirable as a complimentary camera. The touch screen focus hits you subject better. You have a flash. You can mount the GF-2 on very light tripod and can get good night shots,indoor and candids at low ISO. I don't know why you sold your 45.It is a great walk around lens .

I recommend the 135mm f 2 on the Canon. The auto focus on the MK-ll is bad but works best with fast longer lenses. With 50mm you miss a lot of mid-range subjects if you are a street shooter.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Congrats Kelly....playing with some big guns now :)
    Was in a camera store this weekend having a perv at some similar gear....those big @ss Canon f1.2L's look ridonkulous. So what kind of work you got lined up ?

Be sure to keep us lot informed how your FF ride goes.
    Good luck mate.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think full frame and m43 compliment each other nicely. I have a D3/800E + my E-M5. :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I picked up a 5Dc in Sept. I did try a Sigma 50/1.4, but while having wonderful bokeh, it has odd AF issues -- it backfocuses shorter than 6 meters and front focuses after (or vice versa?). I called Sigma about my issues, and they confirmed this! So, I returned that lens. I am a natural 50mm shooter, so to stretch myself, I got the 85/1.8 (and a 70-210 USM).

I also just returned a 35/1.4 that I rented. Lovely lens, but it's quite a bit of money, and I found 1.4 provided too little DOF, and 35mm was not wide enough for me, so I purchased a 28/1.8. Very happy with that. I also rented last month a Nikon D700, 35/2D and 85/1.8G. I found I liked them better than the Canon, but the D700 weighs about 300g more, and everything is just more expensive in Nikon-land. So, I'll stick with Canon for now, as my needs are modest and center point AF works for me.

I had sold all my m43 to see what life was like without it (having had m43 for 3 years). Last week I bought on FM a used EPL3 and from here a used P20, both of which are on their way to me in the mail right now. You really need both, IMO. Either system alone is not quite enough.

Anyone open to having a FF sub-forum/section on mu-43 :) Maybe a "FF Image thread"?

• Like Like x 1
  10. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I got a great deal.

Thanks a ton for letting me know that about the sigma as that the lens I'm eyeballing right now. I agree completely with opening up new sub forums, because I'm a member on Beyond.ca and it's a local car site with tons of sub forums it is a huge success and has 253,002 members (when I checked just now).

I have a friend with a 5d mkii and 50/1.2 and its massive. I've recently been asked to do some engagements and weddings,