Guess what I got for Christmas?

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by rwethairyet, Dec 27, 2010.

1. rwethairyet

rwethairyet New to Mu-43

Dec 25, 2010
    Northern New England
    About the last thing I would have expected. My Husband (Bob, Vintageslrs, also a new member), has been stubbornly anti-digital for as long as I've known him. So to open up the G1 on Christmas morning was quite the surprise. Even more surprising that he had gotton one for himself!
    Truthfully, until meeting Bob a few years back about the fanciest camera I ever owned was a Pentax IQ zoom...loved that thing, went on many hikes, vacations, family events before it finally died during a hike (what can I say, someone "fell" on it one time too many). One of my first gifts from Bob, an avid camera collector, was a vintage Konica T3...and I kind of liked it.
    Somewhere along the line my own collection started to grow...everything from old Box cameras, old polaroids and point and shoots, and Slrs from mostly the 60's and 70's. Still no where near Bobs collection, though, but he had a long head start!
    I've been bugging him about a digital camera for a while, so I'm really excited about learning how to use this camera. Can't wait to get out and start figuring it out.
    Sherri

• Like Like x 7
  2. Stephen Geis

Stephen Geis Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Welcome to you and your husband - can't wait to see the images the two of you produce with your new toys ...

Stephen

• Like Like x 1
  3. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hey G'day Sherri, thanks for joining and saying hello. I've just been admiring your husbands camera collection. Gee Whiz! You'll have to show us a picture(s) of yours as well. I'm sure you'll enjoy your G1. I've heard that the G1 is a camera that Panasonic got incredibly right first time. What lens did you get with it?

Hope to see you around,
    icon

• Like Like x 1
  4. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Welcome!

And please don't talk about cameras I bought when they were new as "vintage". :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome to you both. Have fun while discovering the digital world - can't beat instant feedback.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Welcome Sherri from The Netherlands. Congrats on your G1. Enjoy your holiday season.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mikekiwi

mikekiwi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2010
    The Netherlands
    well, that was a nice surprise indeed! Hope to see some results from the G1 soon!

• Like Like x 1
  8. silverbullet

silverbullet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 10, 2010
    Hi Sherri,

welcome on board! To wake up your Polaroids here is a link to the new manufacturer:

The Impossible Project

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Welcome Sherri, and hello from Scotland. Have fun with your fine new camera!

All the best,

Colin

• Like Like x 1
  10. rwethairyet

rwethairyet New to Mu-43

Dec 25, 2010
    Northern New England
    Thank you for the nice welcome messages.
    My polaroid collection...well, mostly it started because we'd go to a flea market and they'd throw them in free or for a dollar or 2..but it's cool that they've come out with films for some of them. They are interesting cameras and some of my earliest baby photos were taken with my dad's old land camera...we thought THAT was magic when we were kids and as close as you could get back then to Instant gratification.
    Sorry about that, Richard. I feel the same way when music from my era is being played on the Classic stations, haha!
    Somewhere I have photos of my collection...no where near as large as Bob's, but I didn't get truly bit by the collecting bug until a couple of years ago when he gave me an old Argus Brick. Then I suddenly "discovered" an interest in Argus...and then Prakticas and then Zenits...and you all know how that goes, haha. I'll have to see if I can find them somewhere.
    So far I've only snapped 2 shots that I considered worth keeping, lol. One of Bob, one of the dog. Hopefully Bob and I can take some time over the long weekend coming up to get out and take some pictures.

11. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Welcome aboard!

So- we need to start some threads on Vintage cameras.

Definition of Vintage: cameras that are older than I am. That means anything older than the Nikon SP (1957) is vintage.

12. vintageslrs

vintageslrs Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Hello

Bob checking in here....
    My definition of vintage cameras--must be manual focus and use film......my SLR collection goes from 1962 (Spotmatic) to 1984 (Canon T70).

13. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    Welcome! You will love your G1. I certainly love mine. I am an old Nikon user since way back when and the G1 is a gem of a camera - just holding it gives one pleasure. There are tons of things to learn about, so take your time and enjoy the process. It has to be one of the most well thought out cameras ever made.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

I agree - it's amazing that Panasonic managed to get so much so right with that camera.

All the best,

Colin

15. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Sherri, I am so glad you've become a member! I think you and your husband Bob, AKA Vintageslrs, are our first husband and wife tag team! We're very glad to have you both!:biggrin:

Three cheers for such good taste in gift giving, including Bob's giving to himself.:drinks: