1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Guess what followed me home from the Camera Store

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by TexChappy, Jul 6, 2012.

1. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    :43: :2thumbs:

Went to the local camera store (across town) and picked up a new OM-D E-M5!!! Wife liked it; I was really impressed. Felt nice to the hand. Only thing I have to manage is getting used to the EVF as opposed to the OVF on my SLR’s and Rangefinders.

Gonna sell off my Nikon kit to fund an iPhone 4s or compact for the wife.

Now the lens sickness can start.

Thanks for all the advice.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

2. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    Dawn
    enjoy....I have an OM-D myself, and so far I think it is a wonderful camera...still learning tho...takes time!!

3. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Congrats! :bravo-009:

Esp. if you are into rangefinders, you are probably the kind of person that highly evaluates the photographic experience of using a camera. I believe you will find the OM-D to be a great photographic tool in daily use.

As for the viewfinder: I got used to it in a day or so. Esp. if you are used to the tunnel vision of most DSLRs viewfinders (crop-sensor ones). Personally I was always bothered by that, more so if I also used my analog OMs, with their HUGE and CLEAR viewfinders.

Enjoy the new experience! :smile:

4. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    iPhone 4S has a really nice camera. I would say get that for the wife to keep her happy as opposed to a compact. I used it while in Tokyo in a pinch because my lens at the time needed repairs (Sigma OS failed). It's a real 35mm F2.4 albeit the sensors is tiny. For what it was I was thoroughly impressed.

5. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    What kind of Nikon system are you selling off?

6. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    Nikon D40, 18-55 AFS, 55-200 AFS, SB600 flash. Still up in the air if I want to keep my Domke F2 or get a smaller bag. PM me if interested. I'll give a discount to M4/3 folks before I put it on ebay. Going to list it once I find all the boxes/manuals/etc and take some snaps.

7. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    The menus are still driving me a little crazy, but I have absolutely no reservations about this camera. Perfect? Nope, and didn't expect it to be. Great tool and a pleasure to use? You bet. :2thumbs:

8. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    omg was it at precision?!

9. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    It was at Crick Camera in KC, MO.

10. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    ah
    i was just at precision and a guy was with his wife and bought an omd! lol

11. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    Called them last week and they had a couple at Precision but they said most of them were spoken for.

12. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I had one follow me home three weeks ago and I yelled at it telling it to go back home, but it just looked at me and followed me right into my house. I ended up having to adopt the little camera and it has been living in my house and following me around every since.

13. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    I know what you mean. Couldn't resist its sad little eye, right?

I'm sentimental like that myself. :cool:

14. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    The good thing about cameras these days is that there are no liquid spills, mess or stains involved. :eek: :biggrin: :rofl:

15. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    Now the hard part - what lens to get next. I was thinking about about the 1,8/45 but then got to thinking about wanting to do more birds so then the 75-300 comes into play. It will be a bit as I have to save up for whichever I get.

16. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Congrats, I'm on my second.

In a moment of insane madness I sold the first one and then realised IMVHO that I had just got rid of the best new £1000 camera out there . :rofl:

So I had to buy another one, it arrived yesterday.

17. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    Grats again ;) :bravo-009: