Guess the price drop in EP3 and EPL3

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Bhupinder2002, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Guys
    I know those notorious minds are planning to get rid their EPL3s and EP3s to fund OM-D purchase . Now we are also hoping that Olympus will drop the price of EP3 and EPL3 as well. So Lets play a guess game .
    How much price drop u are expecting ?
    Note - Its just a fun thread so don't shoot me with AF and 3D tracking capabilities of ur threads which have intercontinental reach ..hahhah

Cheers
    Bhupinder

2. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    :sad010:

This is not cool. You are "sabotaging" the people trying to sell their cameras. Like me.

3. Bhupinder2002

Hhahaahaah Lol
    :rofl:

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Olympus has retained the list price of $899 for the E-P3 while occasionally offering $50 rebates (I think they even had a couple short-lived $100 rebates), so my guess would be a $100 drop in list price around the release date of the OMD and the rebates will expire, so not really a price drop at all.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That's about what I was thinking. You won't see more than a $100 drop, and likely less.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bhupinder2002

But here in Australia If u press a bit hard they can easily give u a good discount like 100-150 AUD and then further discount SD card and Bags etc so doesn't matter if Olympus drops the price or not we will keep on getting discounts. I think It will be around USD 100 mark officially and u will see many EP3s surfacing for sale soon after arrival of the King
    Cheers

7. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Price drops on the current PENs have been in effect at Henry's for quite some time.

Even before Christmas, the PENs were (and still are) priced:

E-P3 kit: $789
    E-PL3 kit: $549
    E-PM1 kit: $399

8. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I don't think okinana was joking, but the market is what it is. I doubt this thread will have a huge impact.

My guess is that between now and when the E-M5 is available might be the worst time to sell a used E-P3, as many folks are trying to build up some cash to cover that pre-order. Things might stabilize a bit after launch, but then a new PEN might be announce soon as well, so who knows?

I think we all need to realize that buying new :43: bodies and re-selling them in the short term is going to be a loser from a cash standpoint. That's true of most all bodies I think, but with the refresh rates at Oly and Panny it is a bit of a worst case scenario.

9. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    It's only likely a minority of enthusiasts /early adopters who will do that. The OM-D is three times the price of the EPL-3 so more reason for Olympus to narrow the gap by dropping the OM-D price than the E-PL3 price. Plus the OM-D price will drop a few months after release anyway - they always do - unless there are supply problems or demand massively exceeds expectations. The EP3 price may drop but it is overpriced anyway. :biggrin:

Same thing when the Nex 7 came out - lot's of noise on forums etc but I know many people who could not justify upgrading from Nex 3/5/3C/5N to a camera which cost nearly three times as much. If money is not an issue then fine - but for many upgrading is not an option when it's at double or treble the price and for those buying a first camera they are going to be comparing with other options in that price range (dslr's probably or Nex 7 vs OM-D) and not even considering the lower priced models.

10. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    In the Panasonic camcorder world, when new models are announced at the Consumer Electronics Show, retailers start charging MORE for the old models! Thus currently the major retailers like Amazon, B&H and so forth are charging $150-200 MORE for the 2011 models than they did back in December.

11. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    This. +1
    At least until the next PEN is announced.

The EP-3 is still an attractive option with a projection of ~$799 for kit and ~$699 for body only.

Body-only price for the OM-D is still a large pill to swallow for newcomers who yet to purchase native lenses. Consider the kit for $1300, and the perceived size difference of the PEN line, and the rest of the lineup still have their place slightly below the current price point.

12. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I think you'll see a price drop in time for the OM-D..right now the difference is too small between the E-P3 at least and the OM-D. I expect prices on bodies to continue dropping 20-30% a year.

Between now and the release date I expect to see some great deals on Ep/pl/m 3's with more..."motivated sellers."

Fortunately my first gen E-P1/G1 have probably already hit rock bottom. :p

13. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Elvis is coming? :eek:
    Yea , I would suspect that he would be into ยต4/3.

14. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    btw- anyone catch the Olympus USA email ad a few days ago?

They dropped all models down a $100 bucks then a few minutes later they emailed again with a $50 adjustment and apologized for their mistake? If that is any indicator...

15. Bhupinder2002

So guys ..I think I guessed it right .Massive sale and price drop of EP3
    Cheers

16. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Where? E-P3/14-42 kit is still $900 at B&H, just as it was 10 months ago.

DH

17. Bhupinder2002

18. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
  19. Bhupinder2002

Definitely not in this range with Oly 17mm lens .
    Cheers

20. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I saw an ep3 and 14-42 for 699 in a local shop. I can't remember if it was a demo or new.