archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
Taxus is correct and conifers.org is an excellent reference (I encourage anyone interested in trees to check it out). To integrate one of the earlier clues, neither T. canadensis or T. brevifolia is native to southern Sweden, though. The other three of the four hints in Stan's latest are all good, by the way.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
So now I know it is a Yew tree and one native to Sweden, that leads me to the Brittish Isles and the Fortingall Yew tree, supposed to be 5000 years old and going through a sex change according to media.

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Yes, the Fortingall Yew. What's left of it. Not sure about the sex change. It is producing berries on a branch which is not uncommon with yews.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
supposed to be 5000 years old
Personally, I'm skeptical based on other old trees I'm familar with and am inclined towards the more prevalent 2000-3000 year estimate. The basic argument for 1500 years (germination after construction rather than construction around an existing tree) doesn't seem a bad one either, but this probably isn't the sort of thing which will get proved one way or the other.

It is producing berries on a branch which is not uncommon with yews.
Well, botanically, arils and berries are different things. So, technically, a berry producing Taxus would be rather uncommon. ;) But, yeah, dioecious to monecious flowering is a continuum and plant totipotence and indeterminate growth mean sex is less of a identity thing than it is for species with deterministic growth. Individuals of some dioecious tree species are also documented as changing between staminate and pistillate flowers every few years. Other species will switch from female to male in response to low fertilization success.

the needles in the foreground are very distinctive of this species
I'd deferred some caveats about this. The falcate shape, decurrence producing green stems to the previous node, and 2-ranked appearance are distinctive of Taxus, which is how I immediately recognized the Fortingall Yew as a yew (from there it was the fifth hit on an image search for "old yew"). The points at the end of the needles are characteristic of the Taxaceae family (the next level up from genus taxonomically) and are diagnostic in distinguishing Taxaceae from Pinaceae and Cupressaceae but they're not visible in the photograph here.

Cardiotoxicity of yew (Taxus baccata)
Yes, that's one of the papers I pulled. The statement in its abstract is "taxine alkaloids contained in yew berries, needles or bark are poisonous", which is distinct from saying all parts of the tree are toxic. It's also either poorly written or partially incorrect since 1) yews do not have berries in a scientific sense, and 2) while the seeds are toxic the arils do not appear to be indicated as such (Earle). Similarly, Grobosch 2013 (the second link) indicates leaf ingestion but not ingestion of other parts of the tree.

I didn't see anything indicating toxicity of the wood (xylem), which suggests most of the biomass in any Taxus individual is probably not toxic. This is consistent with taxine production as a defense compound to inhibit bark degrading fungi (Talbot 2015) and the apparent lack of handling concerns with longbows. The literature also suggests toxicity varies among Taxus species. Reported details are conflicting, but production in Taxus brevifolia appears negligible to low and relatively high in Taxus chinensis.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
Yes. There's some predictable back and forth about that since, given enough time, what exactly constitutes a tree starts to get hazy as it seems to be difficult for a given trunk to persist for more than a few thousand years. Some have therefore taken to describing Old Tjikko as the oldest known root system. In that sense, there's a conservation effort on another root network with potential to be older but with a considerably more difficult age determination (Rogers 2018).

I think sometimes the details miss the point. Whether it's 500, 1,000, 2,000, 5,000, or 10,000 years it's probably a cool old tree regardless.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
OK, I found something a little different maybe, where is this taken and for extra points name the type of aircraft.
P1080384_DxO_DxO_Web-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Again it approaches bedtime, so if you are sure you have got it please don't wait on me, as I will not be back until tomorrow evening Swedish time.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
Found the specific aircraft but knew several of the clues a priori thanks to an aircraft obsessed co-worker some years ago :rolleyes-38:. So I'll pass on this one.

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
I am thinking that the California Air National Guard aircraft is an F-86 Sabre. There is a historic flight with 4 planes, including an A-10 and F-86, but with different markings. And I spot an F-111 Aardvark in the left back side. Has to be somewhere in the USA, I am sure.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
I think the picture maybe lacks clues to the location, so let me say that the weather when I took the picture did not live up to my expectations of always sunny.

But this is a non-geographical power centre so the weather might differ due to that. o_O

Not too far away the summer was lovely about 50 years ago.

Am I giving away too much now? :confused:

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
Since nothing has happened here for a long time here is another picture from the same place, I have deleted some numbers that could give it away.
P1080410_DxO_Web.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom