foxtail1

Science geek & photo nut
Real Name
Kristi
I tried some searches for Irish castles/follies near the coast, but this is my busiest time of year (university classes start Monday) and I had to put it aside. I'm still interested in continuing the thread.

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
I tried some searches for Irish castles/follies near the coast, but this is my busiest time of year (university classes start Monday) and I had to put it aside. I'm still interested in continuing the thread.
Kristi please read my post, I have given the answer, "Donaghadee" Co.Down N.Ireland.
So if anyone wants to post a new guess please do so.

foxtail1

Science geek & photo nut
Real Name
Kristi
Kristi please read my post, I have given the answer, "Donaghadee" Co.Down N.Ireland.
So if anyone wants to post a new guess please do so.
I saw that, Stan. My point was that I did search, but didn't have too long to play with it. I really like the searching, even when we need clues, as I learn a lot about the world from this thread. But, I didn't have time to really keep going on this one. I'm sure you're right—the correct search string would have gotten it easily, but I didn't get to the correct one.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
I like this thread and often try to chime in with observations of things in the picture but when it comes to the final search for the exact place I come up short.
Maybe that is because I'm not a original English speaker so i have problems to find the right words to search for.
Any way let us continue this thread, I want to submit this picture for your amusement:
Where is this and what is the mountain called:
P1030518_DxO_Web.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hope this is OK.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
Not coal, but I think what you see is what is left after mining exhausted what was mined on the surface. So still a working mine but now underground.

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
No I believe its the other one at Kiruna
Kiruna02.JPG

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
Kirunavaara mountain, and the mine gets it name from it, Luossavaara is another mine in Kiruna (don't know it is still in use.)
The name of the mining company is LKAB, guess what it means? Luossavaara, Kirunavaara Aktie Bolag.
An interesting thing about this mine, Kiruna mine in Kirunavaara mountain, is that it is undermining the town of Kiruna so about half of the city is moving.
Here is a picture of the old Town Hall being torn down, that is Kirunavaara in the background.
P1030548_DxO_Web.jpg

The tower in the picture used to hold the clock tower, that has been moved to the new Town Hall. I think I have shown pictures of both.

Latest threads

Top Bottom