Alberta Dave

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Dave
Well done Kristi, it certainly is Sagebrush Studios and it is the Mendham Gallery. We were there in 2017 on our way to the Swift Current Kite Festival and if you make it up this way you could probably pay a visit. The owners are both very friendly people and the artwork is out of this world.
@archaeopteryx I really thought you would get the location, you were so close!!!!

Kristi, over to you......

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
Sorry! archaeopteryx is not indicative of gender, so I made an assumption!
No worries, Kristi. Been done before and comes up every so often.

I really thought you would get the location, you were so close!!!!
I'm here more for the looking and collaboration than for picking up winner ratings. It's a common pattern for someone to narrow the search area and someone else to use that to find the specifics. It'd be a problem if someone started sniping but we're a gracious bunch and usually good about giving credit.
nothing even close to where it is :whistling:
This is incorrect, though. Sagebrush Studios' location at N50.97709, W109.77772 is 16.8 km east of the Alberta-Saskatchewan border. It's therefore bracketed by over 30% of the locations given above and included within the largest of the search fans indicated.
Now you need to search around for close-by places with church type structures.
Also incorrect, actually. I'd looked around Empress to about a 15 km radius earlier but decided that was enough of an investment at the time as I'd other things to get done besides this thread. Sagebrush Studios is at about a 20 km radius.

foxtail1

Science geek & photo nut
Real Name
Kristi
Okay, change of locale. Where is this?
6113529886_642e1c21a5_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
Is it an aqueduct and is it Roman? There are many architectures with rows of arches but it's usually water transport which puts an elevated grade over unpaved ground. However, a viaduct (Roman or otherwise) would also be built this way and aqueduct-viaduct widths don't seem to be necessarily distinguishable within the composition.

I'm a bit uncertain how to pursue a reasonably efficient search. While ROMAQ indexes 1367 Roman aqueducts they're not queryable by location or by number of tiers, ROMAQ's geospatial data isn't open, and this could be post-Roman construction. Among the Greece adjacent countries (Albania, North Macedonia, Bulgaria, Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Egypt, Libya, and Italy) all the image links in the Turkey aqueduct map seem to be broken but I think Albania, Macedonia, Bulgaria, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Egypt, and Libya can be excluded within the Roman aqueducts list. However, searches seem to really like to glom on to showy, multi-tier aqueducts in good condition. Many aqueducts are long enough they could have seldom photographed, less maintained, single tier sections which would probably receive low search rank even when one's got the right structure. So I'm unsure how much to trust an absence of matches.

Last edited:

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
Should be the stadium barrel vaulting at Perge, sometimes spelled Perga, near Antalya on Turkey's southern coast. Among the various descriptions of the site I kind of like this one.
Guess the Location foxtail1 10254.jpg

These are incorrectly catalogued as an aqueduct in at least two places. ;)

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
From the timing, looks like it would be Roman construction. I found arches with similar moulding, for want of a better term, at the bases of their arcs in Albania and Macedonia but the style seemed more likely to be associated with Anatolia than anything else.

@barry13, would you like to post the next location? I've something ready but you saved me checking a lot of old Roman stuff in Italy.

barry

Super Moderator
@barry13, would you like to post the next location? I've something ready but you saved me checking a lot of old Roman stuff in Italy.
OK, thanks...

Where's this taken from? It's a very public area.
E7299308 GTL.jpg

barry

Super Moderator
Here's another clue from the same location:
E7299231 GTL2.JPG

Latest threads

Top Bottom