Guess the Location!

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Thanks... hopefully this isn't too hard... I do have some more images from the same location if needed:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Another hint; 180 degrees from the first.

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Where was I when I took this photo? Please be specific if you can.

sunrise_0027.jpg

Last edited:

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Might that be Mt Baker?
Taken at about 6 in the morning in late August so you are facing about due east with the sunrise behind the mountain.
So maybe taken from one of the islands San Juan, Lopez or Orcas?

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Might that be Mt Baker?
Yes.

Taken at about 6 in the morning in late August so you are facing about due east with the sunrise behind the mountain.
Correct again.

So maybe taken from one of the islands San Juan, Lopez or Orcas?
Now I'm just guessing, looking at angles and terrain in Google maps, maybe even from Deer Point on Orcas Island?
Not Orcas. So which is it.? Guessing where I'm standing will give it away.

Real Name
Lyle
@WhidbeyLVR I am not familiar with nuns, but I think I've got enough to guess.
So a ferry from Anacortez Ferry (boat and maybe ferry) Terminal to whatever destination, picture taken out on the Rosario Strait (nuns)?
Well, truthfully, the nuns have been gone about 15 years now, but they ran Shaw Island, including the ferry terminal in the old days. Mike’s photo wasn’t from Shaw, nor Rosario Strait (it’s that foggy bit beyond the islands), nor Orcas, though they are all very close.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Well, in that case since it was taken with a 50mm lens (assuming it was not heavily cropped) I think that Lopez Island Ferry Landing/Holding should be the place.

I'm giving it up for the night! (Need to get my beauty-sleep, not that it ever works but I still need sleep.)
I will not be back until tomorrow evening (CET) so feel free to jump in, with guesses or pictures!

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Taken while the ferry was loading on Lopez Island. Left to right...Obstruction Pt. on Orcas; Obstruction Island; Blakely Island. Whidbey is correct, that's Rosario Strait in the fog.

Real Name
Lyle
Taken while the ferry was loading on Lopez Island. Left to right...Obstruction Pt. on Orcas; Obstruction Island; Blakely Island. Whidbey is correct, that's Rosario Strait in the fog.
I think Obstruction Island is on the far left, and the rocky bump in the middle is part of Blakely, just NE of the marina. Google Maps labels the gap as Peavine Pass.

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I think you are right. Obstruction Pass has a dog-leg so you can't see out into Rosario St. Must be Peavine. Ferry sometime goes that way when it is rough in Rosario so they aren't broadside to the swells.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Got caught up in some Youtube videos from Trailrecon, so I'm still awake, but should really be sleeping.
That little bump is Peavine north of the marina? And the Island to the north is Obstruction Island?
Have you cropped the image?
It doesn't fit with what I would have expected of the field of view.

Since I really must go to bed now, anyone with a picture feel free to use it!
I will check in tonight (CET) when I get back from work, so if no one has submitted a picture I will try to find one (but that will be hard for me).

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Obstruction Island blocks the passage between Orcas and Blakely Isls. Obstruction Pass to the north and Peavine Passage to the south. Seems like one could touch the trees on either side of Peavine when the big ferry goes through. The sun appears to rise from Baker only a few days each spring and fall.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
So no takers on posting a pictures.
Here is an old one, I think I haven't used it before, (Stan will tell me if I have, ;)).
If I have used it before it will be a quick guess.
Name of building and city where this window can be found.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom