PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Corran Lighthouse ?? Near Ballachulish. If you were in a boat it would be just around the corner background right :)

Last edited:

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
First hit, second search. Turns out I've been to this location, just not quite this part of it, so will pass. ;)

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
Is this the place where wagon train emigrants wrote inscriptions on the rocks with axle grease that are still visible today?

Last edited:

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
Try this one, where is this?
P1000854.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
Although my photo was taken in February there was no snow, but your Carrickfergus photographer could have been standing on the same spot. That's Whitehead in the foreground and Blackhead Lighthouse in the distance, good fishing in and around the caves below the lighthouse.
A school friend and I kept a boat here In the early sixties , a 14 foot clinker built wooden hull with a little seagull outboard. nearly killed ourselves a few times, little did our parents know. We even attempted to cross to Scotland one time, but had to give up when the heavy swell started breaking over the transom.
So. Well done Dan over to you.

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
with a little seagull outboard
A friend of mine had a Seagull for his Pelican. Spent more time with it apart in the living room than sailing. Put out a big cloud of blue smoke when "running". Same for my friends with Nortons or Triumphs :)

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Although my photo was taken in February there was no snow, but your Carrickfergus photographer could have been standing on the same spot. That's Whitehead in the foreground and Blackhead Lighthouse in the distance, good fishing in and around the caves below the lighthouse.
A school friend and I kept a boat here In the early sixties , a 14 foot clinker built wooden hull with a little seagull outboard. nearly killed ourselves a few times, little did our parents know. We even attempted to cross to Scotland one time, but had to give up when the heavy swell started breaking over the transom.
So. Well done Dan over to you.
Thanks Stan... I was originally thinking the north coast of Ireland but the only place on the coast I had visited on our one trip to that beautiful Ireland was to Portrush... and your shot didn’t look like the Giants Causeway ? not nearly, so took a winger at coastal towns and the near identical shot from the Carrick newspaper turned up... ?... looks like Whitehead got gas about the same time as our little spot in the townships here.

I’ll get something posted in the morning tomorrow.

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
A friend of mine had a Seagull for his Pelican. Spent more time with it apart in the living room than sailing. Put out a big cloud of blue smoke when "running". Same for my friends with Nortons or Triumphs :)
Yes, the way the crankshaft bushes worked the seagull required a 25:1 mixture hence the smoke. as for bikes I have owned three Nortons and my mate had two Bonnevilles definitely no smoke, even when back in the day we would put a spoonfull of "Castrol R " in the petrol tank just for the smell, (back then nearly all racing bike engines were lubricated with Castrol R. and it had its own unmistakable smell. ?

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
I just did a rough measure and it looks like it is about 50km to Scotland. Brave lads, indeed!
Yes Paul we were heading for Portpatrick in Scotland. Loaded up with jerry cans of two stroke, some sandwiches, a road map of the Galloway coastline! Now every time I cross from Scotland to Ireland on the car ferry, I remember back to when I was fourteen years old and that near fatal adventure.

Latest threads

Top Bottom