Guess the Location!

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Off topic!
Sorry to interrupt the thread, but my friends here are my best sources of information, judging from the many pictures from the area that I've seen in this thread. Long story short: I've got a 3 night stopover in Portugal in March (visiting a friend in Toulouse, flying TAP, and stopping off in Lisbon on the way back). My choices are 1) stay in Lisbon and explore the city for 3 days, or 2) fly into Lisbon, rent a car, and explore the area for 3 days. This will be my first visit to Portugal, and I'm open to either option. My primary interest is photography (of scenes, wildlife, or cityscapes). I welcome any suggestions or recommendations. DMs are welcome, or emails to foxtail_too@hotmail.com.
Hi, You could also post a thread in the Travel Tips And Discussion topic here.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
I think the tower is not a well photographed and/or explored place.
I'm also unsure of the latest location hint. It looks like there was an administrative reorganization in 2015 but, as best I can tell, Le Canigou and Céret indicate different areas. It's unclear to me which, if either, might be correct.

In the case of the previous location clue, which clearly indicated Andorra by stating the location was between France and Spain, I ended up being fairly sure it was incorrect as the best match in Andorra is Ordino. Ordino is small enough for review of 3D imagery in Google Earth and review of aerial imagery to be fairly straightforward and I was unable to locate the tower. Pyrénées-Orientales is rather bigger, however.

Shaw

Mu-43 Regular
I'm also unsure of the latest location hint. It looks like there was an administrative reorganization in 2015 but, as best I can tell, Le Canigou and Céret indicate different areas. It's unclear to me which, if either, might be correct.

In the case of the previous location clue, which clearly indicated Andorra by stating the location was between France and Spain, I ended up being fairly sure it was incorrect as the best match in Andorra is Ordino. Ordino is small enough for review of 3D imagery in Google Earth and review of aerial imagery to be fairly straightforward and I was unable to locate the tower. Pyrénées-Orientales is rather bigger, however.
According to Wikipedia, the location description is correct, and when I stated " It's in the Pyrenees, between France and Spain", I meant, for those not familiar with the geography of Europe, that the Pyrenees is a mountain range between France and Spain, and not that the location is in a country between France and Spain.

alan1972

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alan Grant
as best I can tell, Le Canigou and Céret indicate different areas.
I was also confused but due to my lack of knowledge of French territorial divisions. In particular I didn't initially realise that the "canton" unit of territory does not fit in a strict hierarchy with the others. It turns out that some but not all of the communes in Le Canigou canton are in the Ceret arrondisement. So this clue does make sense, but still leaves a lot of communes to check, and I have struggled to find a way to narrow it down.

Further complication is added by "tour" in French meaning both tower and tour - my guesses keep returning itineraries instead of towers.

Shaw

Mu-43 Regular
Good idea, I was thinking along those lines myself. It's La tour de Corsavy, in the village of Corsavy, Pyrénées-Orientales.
I'll give posting a rest just now, so how about yourself or anyone else taking it from here.

alan1972

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alan Grant

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
Sigh. I was thinking to go to the official GIS and map that earlier but didn't have time to sort through France's kind of scrambled collection. There's multiple overlapping datasets from different times and different approved sources rather than a canonical source the way other countries often do. But here's what the three best sources I located---communes 2019, arrondissiment 2013, cantons 2015---have. Not sure if the 2015 changes affected arrondissiments or Céret in particular.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom