Guess the Location!

Real Name
Deryck
Just about every town or village in Italy has a bell tower, and this one is not particularly striking (sic).

Does that mean the town/village is important?

Off the top of my head something like Amatice where they had that awful earthquake and the tower was about the ony thing that didn't collapse

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
So the next search should probably be for "bell tower Italy" or something like that, translated by google translate!
I will not be able to do the search as it is nearly midnight and I have to go to bed (or the chariot turns into a pumpkin).
Will be back after Christmas.
Good luck to anyone who takes this on and a Merry Christmas to you all!

Shaw

Mu-43 Regular
Just about every town or village in Italy has a bell tower, and this one is not particularly striking (sic).

Does that mean the town/village is important?

Off the top of my head something like Amatice where they had that awful earthquake and the tower was about the ony thing that didn't collapse
Not Amatrice, further north.

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
Well, perhaps that's reassuring, since it's not referred to as a clock tower and it's not in an area I've ever encountered as being described as northern Italy. Hint: look in the windows of @Shaw's photograph and search in the location's language (I got nowhere with English and would be surprised if Swedish worked much better).
View attachment 792305
I notice your clockface has Roman numerals and the four is wrong, @Shaw photo has a different face, perhaps a clue?

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
@Shaw photo has a different face, perhaps a clue?
It's common practice for watch and clock faces; subtractive notation has a long history but widespread use of IV rather than IIII seems to be more of a recent change. There are a couple images online which show the numbers whilst being repainted but they seem to be used as stock and, from what I can tell, the hosting pages or .pdfs don't discuss about the bell tower's history in this level of detail.

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
Translated from Italian from an online Rimini news paper, Altarrimini.it June23 2017.

The chimes of the Campanone change, or rather return to the old. For some days, in fact, the civic tower that rises in Piazzetta Galassi has been equipped with a new electronic. clock.
The older inhabitants of the historic center still remember when the Campanone, whose construction dates back to 1893, used a system that reduces the number of strokes to mark the rhythm of the days. There are also two special plays: at noon for 60 seconds and at eight in the evening for 30 seconds.
The new clock supplied by one of the leading companies in the sector, the Trebino di Uscio in the province of Genoa, which among its "customers" includes the Vatican with the basilicas of San Pietro and San Giovanni in Laterano, as well as cathedrals, civic towers and government buildings scattered throughout Italy - allows daily, weekly, monthly or yearly command and programming, automatically updates summer and winter time and will signal the meetings of the city council with a special toll. The new sound electrification system for the bells of the 25 meter high tower replaces the mechanical system used until a few days ago, now obsolete and with problems of misalignment.

Last edited:

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
Try this one?
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom