Guess the Location!

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
Hmm, I guess I'm more curious about what search skills to teach to help others find things. The recent burst of activity seems good as relying on one or two people to turn over a thread isn't very robust in the long term.

What I did here was
  1. General search for "northern Italy ski resorts". At least for me on Google, this gives a map as the first hit showing most of them are in northeastern Italy. I already knew the name of the mountain range there, but it's not hard to look up if needed.
  2. Three or four searches at images.google.com on "<name of range> skiing" with different modifiers such as crest. This gave ski area maps and top of ski area pictures and produced one or maybe two desired results. The clearly correct one was an unlabeled background image in a blog post, though.
  3. Since that wasn't working, changed to "<name of range> <more general landform type> <actual activity shown>" which gave a labeled image result.
  4. Switched to earth.google.com, dropped in the name I'd got, put the camera at elevation, and spun the camera to search the skyline for a match. Basically just zooming in on the match from there.
@foxtail1's mentioned using quite different methods somewhere in the past hundred pages or so, I think. Not sure if @stagor's ever described his approach. My experience of working with image search is it's about constructing a phrase Google's ANI (artificial narrow intelligence) can understand, which is partly image recognition based and partly estimating what text is likely to be on pages with desired images. If I get stuck with Google sometimes an image search at Bing works or going back to a general search gives me other ideas. I use StreetView more in urban settings, Google Earth more for places like this one, and often aerial imagery if StreetView doesn't have the right locations and the search area isn't 3D mapped in Earth.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
I knew those are the Dolomites, but I initially looked around Alpe di Siusi (another ski resort area) and couldn't find that view...

Looked at some more articles and found another list of resorts, mentioning Val Gardena (Gröden)... putting that into Google Earth led me to a valley (Val Gardena, Via Daunei, Wolkenstein in Gröden, South Tyrol, Italy), and the nearby peaks, which looked about right...

1576357278511.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

looking around there around led me to the 'dark' side of the ridge left of the 360 icons, which had a user picture from a very similar position and angle to yours...
1576357360376.png

labeled "L' Alpe di Seceda e le Odle"

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
OK... where's this?

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
The sleuth in me starts to think, "Hmm, that is Barry, were do I know he has been from other pictures I've seen?".
The answer is I don't remember, but he is from southern California and they have palm trees there...
But that is a ruin, do they have buildings that old in California? Yes, old Spanish ones!
So California somewhere?

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
So "stone ruin glass window California" paid off, first picture (B&W) had stone work that looked similar.
So what is the name of the place where this was taken?

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
No takers at all?
So here is another picture from the same place.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom