Guess the Location!

Is it by any chance the GUM central store on Red Square in Moscow?
It is indeed. Armed guards and metal detectors at every entrance... although the entrance we went through was hassle free... they just waved us straight through.

huge indoor mall spanning the one side of Red Square, stretching from St.Basil’s Cathedral at one end to the Red Museum (probably not the real name) at the other. Our guide said the day we were there was like heaven to them as there were (relatively) few people in the Square... could have fooled us!

over to you Bob

Bob in Pittsburgh

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bob (who would have guessed?)
It was the Manolo store that helped me find it. That, and a google search something like Manolo shopping arcade, and a little snooping around.

I do have a picture to post, but it's at home and I'm at work - so it will be 12 hours or so before I post it.

I do remember a photo of the GUM store being in my Social Studies book in elementary school.

It was the Manolo store that helped me find it. That, and a google search something like Manolo shopping arcade, and a little snooping around.

I do have a picture to post, but it's at home and I'm at work - so it will be 12 hours or so before I post it.

I do remember a photo of the GUM store being in my Social Studies book in elementary school.
I figured I’d better leave some of the words in the photo... else it could be anywhere. Also thought they might be smudged enough from the lo-res jpg I posted... guess not, eh!

I’d never heard of the GUM centre before, although we now know it is quite famous in Russia... and very, very expensive. It’s a wonder they didn’t charge admission just to enter the place!

Bob in Pittsburgh

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Where was this picture taken?

Bob in Pittsburgh

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
You are correct, Stan. It's where George Washington and the Continental Army were encamped from December 1777 to June 1778. Although I grew up within 30 miles of here, I never actually visited Valley Forge until this September. These huts are modern re-creations. But the house where George Washington stayed is still there.
P9091188.JPG

Now over to you, Stan!

Last edited:

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
Thanks Bob, I went looking for log cabins and found an almost identical photo to yours, except it was taken in the fall no leaves on the trees. I also read quite a lot about the actions of Christmas day 1776.
Try this one, where is this the gate to?

Thanks Bob, I went looking for log cabins and found an almost identical photo to yours, except it was taken in the fall no leaves on the trees. I also read quite a lot about the actions of Christmas day 1776.
Try this one, where is this the gate to?
View attachment 783768
They look like some of the city walls of York. I can't place them exactly, though.

stagor

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stan
They look like some of the city walls of York. I can't place them exactly, though.
You are absolutely correct sir, the city of York, right next to the river Ouse,
Here is another shot same location different angle.

@stagor Can you please clarify something? Your first image looks to be the gate at Station Road/Station Rise. Your second image seems to corroborate this. But when I look at the gate on Google Street view, the roadway and the stairway are different than your image:
View attachment 784329
View attachment 784330

I don't think your first image is this gate. This is what confused me in searching.
Nevermind all of that. I found your gate. Its on Wellington row, right on the river.

Last edited:
I'm not finding an exact photo match, but might this be the Evergreen State College beach on Eld Inlet near Olympia, Washington?
You are correct.

You can see the same rock right in the middle, in the background from this image on Google Street View:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom